Skip to main content

Vegans in the Old West? by Linda Broday


With difficult times and food as scarce as it was on the American frontier, being a vegan probably was pretty rare. Still…given people’s phobias, I have a hard time believing they suddenly developed in the 1900s. People are people no matter what century in which they live.

Carnophobia is the fear of meat.

And it’s not limited to vegans. It can apply to anyone who stopped eating meat because it wasn’t prepared well and made them sick.

Rayna Harper in my new book—FOREVER HIS TEXAS BRIDE—is a carnophobic.



She stopped eating meat for a very horrific reason and it makes perfect sense. The only thing is, Brett Liberty has a hard time understanding at first. He’s definitely a meat eater. Game is plentiful and provides critical protein that gives a man energy so it seems odd to him that someone stops eating it.

I’m not going to say what Rayna’s reason is because it’ll give away too much of the story, buy she finds a true champion in Brett.

Once he learns of her phobia, he makes sure to have plenty of vegetables, fruits and eggs available for every meal.

No one understands inner pain more profoundly than Brett. When he sees hers, he folds his arms around her, vowing to protect her to the last breath.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Romantic Times gave a 4 star review, saying this:
“Broday’s Westerns always captivate with realistic settings, rugged cowboys and feisty heroines. Broday ends her Bachelors of Battle Creek trilogy with a bone-chilling thrill. Two lonely hearts came together against vigilantes determined to destroy all they hold dear.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


The book completes my Bachelors of Battle Creek series. They're all available online and in bookstores everywhere. 

Here's the Amazon link to the series: http://goo.gl/iGE7Hf

You can visit me at:

WEBSITE      FACEBOOK      TWITTER     GOODREADS



Comments

  1. Very interesting premise for a book. I'm a vegan, and it's not hard to eat this way at home. Going out to dinner can be a little tricky. If your heroine still eats eggs and milk, she's not a vegan but a vegetarian. Vegans eat no animal products. These days it's not because we're afraid of meat but because we don't agree with the cruelty of factory farming and mass production. You certainly got my attention! Off to buy the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shana, thank you for coming on such a busy day. The Facebook party sort of consumed a lot of us. I'm glad the premise of my book tempted you. I hope you enjoy the story. Rayna Harper was a great character. She really had a hard life.

      Yes, I can imagine how difficult it is eating out. I think I could be a vegetarian pretty easy because I don't eat meat a lot. Have a good evening.

      Delete
  2. Just wanted everyone to know how much I enjoyed this story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catalady....Thank you for coming. Wow! I didn't expect to see you over here. I really appreciate the kind words about this book. You're very sweet and I wish that one day we could actually meet. What fun.

      Keep watching for my Men of Legend series coming! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. This cracked me up. I've been vegan for over 25 years. Sometimes when I travel, my food options might was well be from the Wild West.

    Thank you for creating such an unusual character and a hero worthy of her.

    Best,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment