I admit, I'm addicted. With the presidential election campaign in full swing, I have become obsessed with the news. I read the articles, ponder the editorials, and stare into the blue light of the TV as the talking heads comment non-stop on every twist and turn of this election. It's a train wreck…but I just can’t turn away! I can only look forward to the upcoming election as some relief, but I doubt it will be the end of the negativity that pervades the media.
This bumper sticker I saw pretty much sums it up:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
So I've been rethinking my decision to tune in to the news. Of course, I do think it’s important to be aware of what’s happening around me. I don't want to be like an ostrich and hide my head in the sand. But how do you know when you’ve gone too far?
I do love quizzes, so I here is my news watchers quiz:
Watching/reading the news makes me feel:
6. Like I want to move to Canada
The time I spend watching/reading the news:
1. Is barely noticeable in my life
2. Takes a bit of time but does not interfere with any of my activities
3. Takes some time, but I can still get things done
4. Sometimes gets in the way of my to do list
5. Distracts me from things I want to do
6. Prevents me from doing my normal activities
Watching/reading the news leads me to:
1. Take action to help fix a problem
2. Write a letter/email to my local politician
3. Shake my head and move on
4. Complain on social media
5. Feel anxious leaving my house because the world is a scary place
6. Grab my emergency stash of chocolate and hide under the bed
Ok, so if you answered any of the following items as a four or higher, you can join me at the next meeting of news watchers anonymous (Is that a thing? It should be if it's not.). So if watching the news is making you feel stressed, taking up your time, and making you want to hide in the storm cellar, it's time to take a break! Step away! Take a walk in the fresh air. Talk to another human being (not about the election). Take up a hobby. Or my personal favorite - read a good book!!
My next in the Highland Trouble series, My Highland Rebel, will be out Jan, 2017.
So examine the issues and go vote. Then instead of persevering on the latest insult or poll, pick up a good book!