Skip to main content

10 things I'm thankful for--as an author

1. I'm grateful to the woman who handed me a romance novel without telling me what genre it was. I was caring for my terminally ill parents, and she knew I needed a healthy escape. I was halfway into the sequel before I realized this engrossing, intelligent, well-written book was a romance novel! The only one I had read before was a '70's bodice ripper. I hated it and vowed never to read another one.

2. I'm grateful romance novels have evolved from 'damsels in distress' to modern kick-ass, take no prisoners, heroines.

3. I'm grateful the heroes are still awesome. (grin)

4. I'm grateful I needed to take some time off after my parents died. It gave me a chance to try my hand at writing a book. Something I had always dreamed of doing.

5. I'm grateful my husband willingly took on the bills and let me pursue my dream full-time.

6. I'm grateful to the first e-publishers who offered me contracts. (My first book received 3 offers! I'm also grateful for the ego-boost that resulted.)

7. I'm grateful to the publisher I chose to go with. I learned so much about the business and promotion side of publishing--both from the publisher and the other authors.

8. I'm grateful for the many author friends I've made over the years. Many of them critiqued my early attempts, unselfishly offered their knowledge and assistance, and inspired me by example.

9. I'm extremely grateful for my fans. It's a priviledge to share my kooky sense of humor with people who love it. I'm so glad I can provide the kind of healthy escape that was given to me.

10. I'm grateful for computers--despite the many times I get frustrated with them--for making this writing thing so much easier than typing, copying, and mailing manuscripts, old-school style. I'll toss in my gratitude for the Internet that has made communication with the outside world so easy and enjoyable.

In short...I love my job. How lucky am I? Please be on the lookout for my next novel, Flirting Under a Full Moon. It's available for pre-order now. Judging from the amount of "likes" at B&N.com, my fans are eagerly awaiting it.   

Comments

  1. Love the cover, Ash! I know what you mean. I talked to someone who asked when I thought I'd retire. Retire? Who would want to when I have the most rewarding job in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ash! Always eagerly waiting for any of your books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!
    Great list. Lots to be thankful for in our world.
    This week I got author's copies and ARC's...the excitement around here didn't have the word retire anywhere in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your books are a wonderful escape, I read them over and over. We as readers are just as thankful for you. keep up the romance. ;) I'm glad to see you have so much in your life to be thankful for. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to hear from both readers and authors. It looks like we can each identify from our own perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cover! There are always so many people who contribute to support our dreams. I think it's great when we tell them. They're truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cover, Ash!
    When I quit my nursing job, several people seemed to think I was retiring. LOL! Not likely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashlyn, your story is one of mining diamonds of happily ever afters from significant losses. I wonder how many of your readers can sense that and connect with your writing as a result. If ever we need a dose of HEA...

    Great list. Write faster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great new cover! And I love your list. Lots to be thankful for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, Grace. Write faster. Yes, I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you remember life before computers?! I do, so I am thankful for them too . And of course my family's health.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cover! I also love your list. Like you books helped me when I was needing an escape. While I will never write a book I am thankful for great authors like you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cover and am very eagerly awaiting Flirting Under a Full Moon, (already pre-ordered). I love your Strange Neighbors series and have read quite a few of your stand-alones also.
    I am thankful for my kids, my husband, my job(so I can support my book buying/reading addiction, and of course my extended family and friends.
    Thanks for writing such great books for us to read Ashyln, I am also very thankful for that.
    christinebails at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, Sharon, Pam and Chris...
    So good to "see" you guys here.
    Hugs and have a Happy Thanksgiving, all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the list and understand your pain concerning your parents, you are a wonderful daughter to take care of them. I'm thankful for my amazing family, whom I would be lost without. I'm thankful for my life that I fight for everyday because of my lupus. I am thankful for authors like you and the places you take us when we really need to escape.
    Love your books Ash!! Please keep writing forever! (No pressure or anything...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If it wasnt for my book reading times I dont think that I would survive. It is my one escape to get me through day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, Pumkin. That's the kind of pressure I love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list! I'm looking forward to your next book!

    Jen R.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also started reading romance books as stress relief - I had a negative impression too until I actually stareted to read them - and then write them! Congrats on your new relaese!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a wonderful list, Ash! I love seeing that! And well, I'm truly thankful for you authors--you and your books really change the lives of your readers :) So thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great list Ash! As you know I'm one of the ones anxiously awaiting the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks to everyone for leaving their comments. Another thing I'm grateful for is not being left flappin' in the wind. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment