Skip to main content

An Exciting Time of Year!

By Robin Kaye

Summer is always an exciting time of year. This summer especially because I just sold a new series to Sourcebooks – The Domestic Gods Gone Wild! Series. You’ll get to meet the heroes and heroines in my next book, Yours For the Taking. It will be released in January.

If signing my new contract wasn’t exciting enough, the same day I signed on the dotted line, I received a phone call telling me that my book Too Hot to Handle won the Holt Medallion for Best Romantic Comedy! The thing I love most about the Holt Medallion is that it is judged by readers, the very people I write for, not the publishing elite. I’m completely over-the-top because Romeo, Romeo won last year too, so this year’s win completely shatters my concern that it was all a big fluke. Well, almost.

The Romance Writers of America’s National Conference takes place every July. This is something I look forward to all year. For those who don’t know me, I’m a bit of an extrovert. (okay, you in the peanut gallery, keep it down) I love being around people so keeping myself locked in an office staring at my computer, writing 40 hours a week is difficult. Conferences are my saving grace. Nationals is a wonderful time to go on a road trip with my critique partners, get together with writing friends, meet with my agent and editor, go to parties, dinners, and generally do everything I haven’t done since the last conference.

The best things happen to me at Conferences. I sold my first book, Romeo, Romeo at the 2007 National Conference, I won the Golden Heart that same year, and this year, Breakfast in Bed is a finalist in the Booksellers’ Best Awards. The Booksellers’ Best Awards Banquet is at Nationals so I’m really hoping my luck holds out.

If you live in the Orlando, Florida area, I hope you will come out for the 2010 “Readers For Life” Literacy Autographing at the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort on Wednesday, July 28th from 5:30 to 7:30 PM. More than 500 authors participate in the signing, including most of the Casa Babes and me. Stop by and say hi! Admission is free and all the money raised from the sales of our books will go to local literacy charities.

Thankfully, after a whirlwind week at Nationals, my husband and two of my three kids will meet me at Disney for the beginning of a much-needed vacation. We’ll spend a few days with the big-guy, Mickey Mouse and then head down to the West Coast to spend time with my family. I can’t wait!

So what is the most exciting thing about summer to you? Ahem…please remember this is a PG rated blog.

Comments

  1. I so wish I could spend 40 hours a week writing books, Robin!!! Congrats on your new books and your Medallion win! All totally deserved! Have fun on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry~

    I don't know if I spend 40 hours a week writing, I know I do working but writing is only part of that work, you know. The other part is shuffling kids.

    I'm going to be out most of the day until late tonight because Twinkle Toes is dancing and we're going to see both shows today and all three of her dances. I'll be sure to check back when I can, but I'll probably be pretty scare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Robin, on the new contract and the Holt! Very exciting times for you! I remember being at the 2007 conference and knowing one of the GHers had gotten the call. Everyone was holding their breath until we found out who. The rest is history!!

    I'm heading to Cali to see family and for the launch of Montana Dawn. We can't wait.

    Hugs!
    ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and have a great time at Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline~ That was such a fun time hanging out with all the 007 Bond Girls! Good luck with the launch of Montana Dawn. I can't wait to read it!

    Hugs...Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cheryl~

    We haven't been to Disney in about 6 years so the girls are very excited as am I. I just never outgrow the Mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new series, Robin! It sounds fabulous! I hope twinkle toes had a wonderful performance. :}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Conference is the best thing about summer for me too. I can't wait to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Robin! That's great news.

    This will be my first RWA conference. So if you see someone looking lost and a bit freaked out, it's probably me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Robin,
    A new contract, a new year!

    I'll be at National RWA in Orlando and look forward to seeing you again. Of course, I'll enjoy seeing old friends, making new ones and I'm sure I'll do my part of having fun at the parties and dinners, too!
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peanut Gallery member lmao here!!! :)

    Congrats on all the accolades, Robin! I'm up for 2 awards at National: In Over Her Head for National Readers' Choice Award, and Wild Blue Under for a Prism. So, yes, I'm looking forward to National, too. I'm also looking forward to the 2-week vacation beforehand and since my copy edits are now finished on I Dream of Genies, and Genie Knows Best will be in to Deb shortly, I'm really looking forward to having some time to recharge - I've been putting in probably double that 40 hours. Ugh.

    See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait for Nationals!!! We are all excited since none of us have been to Disney World before. But for me the enthusiasm is on super-high since I get to do SO MUCH STUFF!! Include hanging out with my writer friends :)

    See many of you there!

    Congratulations, Robin, on the Holt. Such an amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on all your happy news, Robin!!

    I'm with you--my favorite part of the summer--besides warmer temperatures!--is Nationals. I love being immersed in the writing world. For romance writers, there's no better place to be, in my opinion.

    I always come back energized and full of new ideas.

    I hope to see many of you there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment