Skip to main content

The Do's and Don'ts of Summer

I see that this blog now has almost 100 followers, which makes me wonder how that translates into the number of people who actually visit this site every day and read the posts.

No, wait. Perhaps it's best not to dwell on that. It's scary enough to think about the total number of books sold versus the number of people who've actually read them. Think about that. One library book can be read by hundreds of people before it finally goes into the recycling bin, and an ebook posted on the internet could be read by millions! Now, that's REALLY scary!

But I digress. We're doing the summer theme thing this month, and since I just got back from Myrtle Beach at a little after 1 am on Saturday morning, the whole vacation is fresh in my mind.

Or is it? It's funny how quickly we forget things. I know I could probably recall most of it if I put my mind to it, perhaps even tell you hour by hour what we did, but that would be boring. What I mean is, to truly enjoy anyone's vacation, you pretty much have to be there.

I could tell you how lovely the weather was in Myrtle Beach (hot, but not too humid), describe the feel of the sand between my toes (if I'd actually put my toes in the sand), or the soft sea breezes (the kind that make trees bend sideways), or the (fishy) scent of the sea air, but like I said, you have to be there. However, since this is a blog about summer, here are a few pics of what I like to do on my summer vacation, along with a few things I should never do again. . . .

Do:
Gaze out at the ocean and pray that the oil spill in the Gulf doesn't get any bigger, never happens again, never makes it to the Grand Strand (or anywhere else), and gets cleaned up real soon.




















Do NOT:
Eat way too much at places like this, and then develop amnesia when trying to remember why all-you-can-eat buffets that include really good crab legs should be avoided for the rest of my life.


























Do:
Visit places where the art, flora, and fauna of South Carolina can be enjoyed.





















Do NOT:
Ever, under any circumstances, relinquish possession of the camera when there is a chance that pictures (no matter how distant!) may be taken of me from behind.




















Do:
Go to Medieval Times so often that the knights (this one in particular) remember me from year to year.


















Do NOT:
Forget that receiving enthusiastic hugs from men in armor can be painful.

Do:
Remember that while you're off having fun, someone is waiting patiently for you to return.


























Do NOT:
Forget that there's no place like home, even if the humidity level in Indiana right now is roughly equivalent to that of the Amazon rain forest and that, after being left untended for over a week, my yard now looks like a jungle!

Comments

  1. Can I have the number for that knight? Medieval times here I come! Looks like you had a fabulous vacation -thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, drat, I got to see the pooch and the beach..no knight. I hate it when the REALLY good pictures fail to pop up! Glad you had fun! My yard looks like a jungle and I haven't even been anywhere on vacation. Just lost in the world of wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vacation pictures still make me smile Cheryl. Your do and don't list seems very wise. *Nods*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cheryl~ What a great vacation, wish I were there. Really! Especially snuggling up to that Knight. LOL.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pistures, Cheryl! I love your do's and don't list. LOL

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Good advice. And I'm so glad you shared your lists and pictures with us all. It almost felt like we were there. And now we should all go to your house and help you cut the grass. Don't you think? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that was a perfect do's and don'ts list! Great pictures! Glad you're home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda,
    Actually, my most favorite knight is at the Toronto castle for the summer, but this guy, well, he actually spotted me in the audience once. He's a sweetie!

    Terry, I guess you'll have to go to my blog to see the knight pics. I posted all six of 'em there!

    Hi Ana! That's me the wise old (emphasis on the old) Cat Master! ;-)

    Robin,
    That's my point, the knights aren't very snuggly. I think he had body armor on underneath all of that. He plays the villain of the story, so he needs more protection!

    Thanks, Ash! Now if I could just remember to live by all of them myself!

    LOL! I would love to have someone help me subdue the rampant wilderness, Donna, but it's rained every night since we got home. Too wet to mow or plow!

    Thanks, Lisa. It was fun, as always, but it's good to be home and have the weekend off before I have to go back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say you had fun, Cheryl!

    I agree with you on some pictures shouldn't be taken!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iknew you would think of something to write, you always do. And as usual it's funny and worth reading! Thanks for the do's and do'ts of Summer, that was cute.
    t

    Trust the Force Cheryl, it will always guide the fingers to do good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Linda! Marie, who will be my roomie in Orlando, is now threatening me with her new Flip video camera. Oh, the horror!!!!

    You're right, Jessica. I should trust the Force more often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the do's and don'ts, Cheryl - and the snuggly knight comment made my drink go up my nose! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely rundown of your summer so far, Cheryl! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment