Skip to main content

Adventures in Cooking

I love cooking shows! Chopped is my favorite. Four chefs are presented with four weird ingredients per basket and somehow have to make the ingredients all work together through three rounds including (usually) appetizer, entree, and dessert. If you're the chef who fails to make a harmonious dish, you will hear host Ted say "You've been chopped!" Four goes to three goes to two, and one winner emerges. Fun!

I also love Master Chef, which just started a new season, featuring amateur chefs, Hell's Kitchen, and Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. I've always liked trying new foods, no matter how weird or different.

 I guess it all started when I was a little kid and my grandfather would take me out to dinner to distract me when my older sister got cool party invitations that did not include tagalong me. I would order foods that would astound the grown-ups in my midst. I lived to hear "How old are you, honey? Are you sure you want escargot?" Yes, very sure. And always very happy to try something new.

Did I ever find a food I do not like? Hm. Not really. Though lima beans are not my favorite. I will eat almost anything. "Try it once," my grandfather would encourage. "You won't know if you don't try."

In keeping with my philosophy of trying new things, I recently joined Blue Apron. They deliver recipes and ingredients, some I've never tried, like Napoles (cactus). And I prepare and cook the food. The best part? No grocery shopping. I love food. I hate grocery shopping. And it has been fun to cook with new to me ingredients.


www.blueapron.com There are quite a few similar services around now, some with more homestyle meals, and some more gourmet. Have you tried any?

One of the things my hero does to impress his estranged wife in the upcoming The Great Estate is to learn to cook. In Italy. He makes gnocchi with a butter sage sauce. I love a man who can cook!

Do you love cooking shows? Trying new things? Can you recommend any romances involving cooking/food/chefs? 

Comments

  1. I always wonder about those services tat deliver food and recipes. I'd love to try them, but I'm a vegetarian so I don't think they'd have enough for me. I wish my daughter would try some new foods sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do have some delicious vegetarian meals. They offer three meat/three veg options per week. If you have special needs like Gluten Free or Vegan, probably not a fit. But vegetarian they do well. One box holds three meals for two or four. I have some boxes to give away, basically a free first week trial of the plan for two, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love heroes who cook! Probably because I'm not good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am blessed in that my husband has an interest in cooking. He constantly consults his cookbooks (he really likes the Test Kitchen recipes) and is slowly building up a repertoire of dishes. He does the main meat and I do the sides (I am very adept at zapping frozen veggies, lol) and it's a great division of labor. He loves watching Master Chef, but I have to say how intimidating it is to watch the junior edition and hear these youngsters espousing the proper flavor combinations or the best way to get the souffle to rise, lol. I love reading romances that have cooking scenes--one of my favorite urban fantasy authors, Jennifer Estep, usually has scenes where her heroine (who owns a BBQ place) cooks for those in her life, and I am always hungry after reading about the dishes she has prepared, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment