Skip to main content

What's Hot...

by Judi Fennell

I'm writing this on Saturday afternoon to post on Sunday because I'm in the Northeast and it's definitely NOT hot here as we wait for Irene. It's been raining since about 1 (5 hours ago) and I'm keeping an ear focused on the basement where our battery back-up sump pump will squeal when it's services are called upon. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. As long as we don't lose power, we should be fine.

So, what IS hot here in the Northeast? Let's say, first of all, generators. They're hot. How hot? Well, when I went to Home Depot on Tuesday to get a generator, I got the second-to-last "affordable" one in stock. The guy who helped me said they'd had a run on them. I know this is the first time I've ever bought a generator for a storm.

What else is hot? Flashlights, apparently. Here's my local Walmart on Friday:


Water, too, is apparently, one of the hottest items around. My sister took this picture at her local supermarket Friday morning. While she was there, another pallet of water was delivered; she said it was as if vultures descended on the pallet. She had to beg someone for a case of water - her normal weekly purchase. Some nice man gave her one.



So, I'm wondering how my Mers are coping with the storm. As you know if you've read In Over Her Head, Reel and Erica live at her family's marina in New Jersey and Reel has an underwater lair 10 miles off the coast of New Jersey. So, does the natural-born Mer man go back in the ocean when evacuations are being called for all over NJ? Does he take his wife and child (ah, spoiler for those of you who haven't read Catch of Lifetime yet). Or do they evacuate inland with the rest of the land-dwellers? Thoughts?

If I don't answer it'll be because I don't have power and I've used up all my iPad bettery playing Words With Friends and Hanging With Friends. (If you'd like to play me on either of those games, my name is GoLions87 - come find me!)

Happy Hurricaning!

Comments

  1. I think if he can stay out of the ocean long enough, heading inland is going to be the smartest idea. It's going to be very difficult to return to shore without being seen and questioned. They also run the risk of someone reporting them as missing which means they are going to be asked a lot questions when they do show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, Judi! Hope everyone rides out the storm okay. I wish we could get some of your rain though. We've broke all records of 110 degree heat with no relief in sight. No rain. Water restrictions galore. Some say it's supposed to last through Oct. Surely not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia, good thoughts on them being missing! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for contributing!

    Terry, it's the wettest month EVER here in Philly. You're welcome to some of the rain.

    Were having a lull right now. Didn't lose power so that's good. We'll see what the back part of the storm does...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Underwater seems a bit safer than above. I'm sure it's a bit shaky down there, but I don't think he'd have to worry about flying objects or crumbling buildings. :)

    Glad to know you're safe. I'll keep my fingers crossed you don't lose power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judi, put those mers in your basement and protect them. Readers are depending on you to keep them safe!
    Hope it's all over in your part of the world and that everyone and everything survived. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty familiar with those shortages, living on the Gulf coast. It's not fun being without power, so I'm glad you got a generator, and I hope you don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All is good. The sun just came out. And so the dryout begins...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you have survived the storm ok! If I was an aquatic mammal I'd definitely hide out under water during a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you all made it through the storm unscathed. I loved your Mer series! Are there any more in the works?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the pics, Judi! At a time like that, being a mer would be great! :}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment