Skip to main content

Living in the World of Fantasy for Real


Wolves are territorial animals, just like humans are, really. Just think, if people trespass across your property, don't you get a little annoyed? Years ago, my dad built a wall to keep people from cutting across our corner property in Florida, where they ruined the grass by creating dirt paths. I think shrubs (prickly, if nothing else) would have sufficed. LOL

I've been doing some research in the area of Maine, and thought it quite fascinating that private owners allow snowmobilers to "trespass" on their land in order to let others enjoy winter activities in the area. I'm not sure I'd like to hear the peace and quiet of my property disturbed by the sound of snowmobilers, but I do think it's nice that property owners are generous enough to allow this.

When I was driving home from the romance writers conference at Shreveport, Louisiana back to Texas, I was thinking about the wolves in my stories and how they could not very well run free in the areas I was driving through. Why not? At least in the case of the roads I was driving on, a lot of land was fenced for cattle, horses, even saw emu and pygmy horses on two different ranches, and several farms that grow corn and rye grass also were fenced. So fences would be a hindrance for wolves who love to set up their own territories, and wouldn't appreciate being hemmed in by man-made devices.

When creating a new world, things like this have to be considered. :) In fact, while I'm working on my stories, I truly have wolf on the brain. :)

When my library manager mentioned making some signs for Easter, she wanted to include eggs; I wanted to include wolf pups. She just laughed. But I was serious. Wolf pups, like many new baby animals, come in the spring! :) Luckily, my co-workers understand me, so I can get away with speaking wolf whenever I want. In fact, whenever there are any books on wolves, my co-workers think of me.

What about you? Have you ever fallen in love with a book and couldn't quit thinking about it? If you're a writer, do you find that your world follows you around wherever you go?

Have a super Sunday, everyone! And look around your area. Would any of the places you live be a good locale for a wolf pack? :)

Terry Spear
www.terryspear.com

Comments

  1. In the eastern part of North Carolina, few farmers keep large herds anymore. Little of the land is fenced. Even where it is, the fences don't keep out dogs, so I don't think they'd stop wolves.

    How much territory does a wolf need? The main problem would be that farmers would take a dim view of wolves attacking such herds as they do have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Terry!

    When I think wolf heaven, I think of Idaho. I think 65% of Idaho land is publicly owned, controlled by the Bureau of Land Management. BLM land is what we called it. It's a great place for wolves - I've even seen them there. We were driving up the north fork of the Boise River about an hour outside of the semi-ghost town of Atlanta, Idaho, population 15 last I checked. The only way I knew it was a wolf was because I had a 2 year-old addicted to Disney's Beauty and the Beast and he looked just like the wolves in the movie, only friendlier. But then I was pretty far away. I'm sure he wouldn't look so friendly if I went to pet him.

    He was big, gray and beautiful and standing in the middle of a logging road (believe me, calling the washboard dirt trail a road is being kind). He watched us drive toward him at a whole 10 miles per hour and once we got about 500 yards away, he took off into the woods and disappeared. There were no fences for a miles and miles.

    Yup, Idaho would be the perfect place for a wolf pack. It was the perfect place for me too. Going up into the mountains was like having my own private Idaho. Great, now I'm homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wolves would probably love it around here, just like those imported coyotes, but they'd probably go after the cows, rather than the whitetail deer, which is what the coyotes were SUPPOSED to hunt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl~

    I could see how it would be hard to talk a coyote into hunting deer instead of cattle. Cows seem like easier prey and I don't know about Coyotes, but I like beef a whole lot better than venison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Afraid the only places for wolves in California is in the State and National parks. And I do believe we have a few. Waaay more coyotes, however.

    I do know what you mean, Terry, about carrying your story with you. When I was writing Treasures of Venice, seemed like everywhere I turned were pictures of references to Venice! FUN STUFF!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhode Island isn't wolf country... We're overrun with deer and the occasional coyote. Consuela, the 17-year-old wonder dog, likes to stand in the front yard and howl at the coyotes. Of course she'd have a heart attack if she ever encountered one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I live at the base of the High Sierras, so wolves are a common sight. I have seen them many times while driving to Yosemite or the Sequoias, along with bears, deer, fox, etc. It is a National Park, so very few fences and with elevations reaching some 14,000 feet, people are rare trespassers! Wildlife is protected. Great place to set one of your stories, Terry, and you can always stay with me while you research! :)

    As for a book inspiring me, well, need you ask?:)

    Great post! Sorry I am chiming in very late.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Canada - lots of wolves - but in a fairly urbanized part of the country.

    I saw a Nova special years ago about the re-introduction of wolves into Yellowstone. They 'imported' Canadian wolves, darting them and moving them, giving them an area. I wonder if that would work for your werewolves!! Darted while in wolf form, and wake up naked someplace strange!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. I remember the first time we took our kids to Yellowstone was when they were just going to bring back the wolves. Our oldest fell in love with them, and any time anyone mentions them now, I think of beautiful animals and my son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omigosh, thanks for all the wonderful ideas, ladies!!!

    MM, you're right. They could jump over fences. They need quite a bit of territory, though when reintroduced to an area, they don't wander quite as much in the beginning. Especially if they have plenty of food.

    Robin, yeah, Idaho is perfect. They actually have a pack in the area that is protected and they believe that some of the wolves in Oregon actually are from the Idaho pack!

    Cheryl, they've said that a wolf killed a sheep in one area, but it turned out it was a bobcat that had done the deed. I have to defend my wolfies. LOL

    Cindy, yeah, and sometimes the wolves mix it up with the coyotes, so you don't have pure either. I bet it was fun to go to Venice. I probably should include one about Greece! :)

    Marie, LOL. We had trouble with black bears in Oklahoma. They put a moratorium on hunting them and the Arkansas bears learned about it so moved into our state. :)

    Hey, Sharon, I'm ready to pack my bags and stay with you to research! LOL

    Donna, yeah, I watched that program about the Candian wolves that were reintroduced to Yellowstone. Great program. LOL on darting the wolves, bringing them to Yellowstone, and then here they're not wolves at all. LOL :) Love it!

    Ahh, Sheila, that was so nice! My son watched I think The Never Ending Story? And there was a really evil looking wolf in it? Anyway, he was scared of wolves for years. But it's so nice to have good memories with your kids! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment