I write romance. I also read romance, urban fantasy, fantasy, and a host of other genres. I'm always on the lookout for a new series to read. And I say series, because typically if I like a book, I want to read more in that world. But books aren't cheap, and it's tough anymore to find quality work that appeals to me because there is so much out there to wade through.
So how do I find a new series to read that won't break the budget?
Here are 7 tips that help me:
- Word of mouth and wait for sales. Not the best approach, but it works. And my friends and I talk about books, so if one of them says a series is worth reading, I pay attention.
- A sales advertiser, i.e. Bookbub. I subscribe to Bookbub and Book Gorilla. Those subscriptions are free and let me know when books (in the categories I choose) are on sale. I've found quite a few great reads through that.
- Author newsletters. Many of the authors I like have newsletters, and I subscribe to them. They will sometimes mentions books they like, which sends me to those new authors, who often give you a book for free for subscribing, or keep you up to date on sales.
- Library. I download ebooks from my library all the time, and it's a total money-saver. However, this doesn't necessarily show me a new series. It does let me try new series without worrying about cost, though.
- Publisher newsletters. I have signed up with quite a few publisher newsletters (hello Sourcebooks Casablanca Sweet Deals!) that send me sales on their books. And since I'm already interested in certain series and authors, this is a direct link to great sales.
- Become a reviewer. I own and operate Romance Junkies, a review site. Our reviewers get free books for an honest review. This is awesome because we not only get the books for free, we often get them ahead of publication date. I read a lot of new series through RJ! (If interested in reviewing, contact me. *grin*)
- Facebook or Amazon ads. There's a reason authors advertise, and it can pay off for readers. I don't often follow ads, but since it doesn't cost me to click for more information, I've found that the algorithms FB and Amazon use actually apply to what interests me. (Not all the time, but enough that I'm okay with the ads I see.) I've found quite a few new series on sale this way.
I hope that helps. I'm always on the lookout for great new series that won't strain my budget. Good luck!
And don't miss my The Donnigans series, the last of which arrives May 1st!
What do you do when a "fake" relationship is so much better than the real thing?
Hope Donnigan is finally getting her life together. She's working a job she likes, has some amazing friends, and is steering clear of Mr. Wrong. Now if only she could get her mother to understand that. Maybe a hot tattoo artist from the other side town is just the ticket to teach her mom a lesson.
J.T. Webster fell for Hope months ago at his sister's wedding. So when she propositions him to be her fake boyfriend to get her mother off her back, he's all in. The only problem is J.T. had no idea their pretend relationship would be better than anything real he's ever had...