Skip to main content

Street Teams: What are they? How do I get one?

HI, everyone,
This is a repost from an interview written for another blog dated 4/2015. The info is still good. (It's nice to know some things don't change!)



  1. HOW DID YOU START YOUR STREET TEAM?

I put out a call on my facebook fan page as well as my yahoo fan group. My original intention was to have 50 members, one in each state. Well, I have 50 members and about 45 states represented. A few states have 2 members. I just couldn’t find a fan in the Dakotas, Montana, Minnesota, or New Mexico. *Update--I still don't have anyone in those states. Buler? Buler?)

  1. WHAT IS YOUR STREET TEAM CALLED?

Ashlyn Chase Champions

  1. WHAT DO YOU DO FOR YOUR STREET TEAM?

I send them physical promos to hand out and books to review (if they’re willing.) I hold a contest during promo heavy months on the 10th of that month for a $10 gift card. I also send each member a holiday card and gift each year.

  1. WHAT DOES YOUR STREET TEAM DO FOR YOU?

I ask for tweets, Facebook, and other social media shares when I have something new to promote. Some members review my books and post those reviews on their blogs or review sites. They all hand out my promos and talk up my books. In other words, they are my word of mouth advertising—the best ad there is!   

  1. WHAT ARE THE PROS TO HAVING A STREET TEAM?

Besides (hopefully) increased sales, I like knowing my die-hard fans. I give them a little more personal glimpse into my life and career as well. Some of us have become dear friends.

  1. WHAT ARE THE CONS TO HAVING A STREET TEAM?

Other than the cost of postage, I can’t think of much. I guess there are risks, although I haven’t experienced any (that I know of.) There’s always the chance of piracy with any advanced review copy, or being taken advantage of in other ways. But I can’t imagine why anyone would join a street team if they didn’t want to help the author.

  1. WHAT WAS YOUR MOST SUCCESSFUL STREET TEAM EVENT OR PROMOTION?

It’s hard to say. One of my street teamers has a regular booth at a swap meet and her local Comicon and offers my promos to thousands of attendees. I send her a few extra goodies because I know she’ll have no trouble distributing them!

  1. HOW MUCH TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY DOES IT TAKE TO MANAGE YOUR STREET TEAM?

Very little “management” happens in my life. LOL During release months I post to our secret facebook group, asking for social media shares. I have the whole 50 in a group email list and send out news of a galley available to review or new promos just in. I don’t assume everyone has time to do everything, so the biggest part of my ‘management’ is keeping track of who wants to do what at any given time. And now I have an assistant to help with that! Thank goodness for Dianne!  

  1. HOW HAS YOUR STREET TEAM IMPACTED YOUR SALES?

I wish I knew. The crazy thing about tracking sales is that you try so many things at once, and you never know which paid off. I do ask them what kind of promo they did that month. They usually try different tactics too. So, the answer to your question is: Nobody knows, but it's all good.

  1. FOR AN AUTHOR JUST GETTING STARTED WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE HER/HIM ABOUT STARTING UP A STREET TEAM?

I’d say decide on the number of members you can handle and start small. At some point you may lose one or two who become too busy, but you’ll gain ten times more every time you put out the call for new members. Say you have ‘openings’. I keep a waiting list when I put out the call and get more volunteers than I have openings.That makes it special--for everyone.
Most recent release! Laura's Upcycled Life is my first Indie...And my Champions' promotion was invaluable!
Coming in March from Sourcebooks. Book 1 in a whole new series! The Phoenix Brothers. Available for preorders!

My question: Are you on a Street team? If so, what do you like about it? If not, would you like to be on one.


Comments

  1. I'm on a couple teams. I love them. I only do for my favs that I'm guaranteed to read, my auto-but authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I see you posting things for me, when I didn't even ask. You're the best kind of street teamer there is! Mwah!

      Delete
  2. I am on a few street teams & I love getting to know the authors on a more personal basis. We all share our lives with each other. It gives us all a chance to make new friends while helping our authors promote their books. The best thing is the friendships & I hope we are helping to get the word so others can enjoy a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Shelske! Exactly what Street Teams are for!

      Delete
    2. I love the one on one with the authors, the chances to beta read and ARC read for authors, and the sisterhood the groups create.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for explaining how you use your street team. That new cover is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment