Skip to main content

Writing when you have no time.

The writing groove is back and better than ever. Only thing missing now is (drum roll please) TIME!

Summer is here, which means my girls are off of school and dying to be busy every second of the day. So between swimming lessons, art classes, and dance class, I'm dang tired by the time the end of the day rolls around and the last thing I can do is sit in front of my computer and write romance when the blare of hip hop music plays from our Alexa, while the the annoying tween and teen voices from Bunk'd sounds from our TV.

Needless to say, it really sucks getting that mojo back and not having the time to do it. So, for the sake of my sanity, I've come up with a little somethig to help me put those words on the paper.

Top Five Secrets for Getting the Words Down When Time is Not Your Friend.

1.  The phone. 

Oh, yes. I do this often. Between doctors appointments and dance class, I have that baby out, typing away my ideas and scenes with the convenience of my Android. It's not ideal, BUT it's totally doable.

2. Coffee and a six AM alarm

The last thing I want to do is wake up at the butt crack of dawn in the summer when I'm exhausted, but that is quite possibly the only time I can concentrate and have the words make sense anymore. Plus, there's something about a quiet morning that really soothes the soul. And the coffee steaming in my mug? Yeah...that's as good as a glass of wine before bed.

3. Good old paper and pencil

It's freeing, in a way, to get words down on paper with a pen/pencil. It's supposed to expand a portion of your brain you don't usually use when you're typing on your keyboard from what I heard. Is it my favorite way to get the words down? Nope. Not at all. My hands get tired and my fingers don't want to work, and yeah, I'm lazy like that. BUT if the idea hits me, I'll write it down the best way I can. Sometimes on a Walmart receipt even. That's always entertaining.

4.  BEDTIME words.

God, do I hate writing at bedtime. Do you know how many times I've poundned away at my keyboard, only to wake up with sksdidfhofidfjdajfdkljflajflj wrtten in my manuscript the next morning? Yeah. Totally sucky. My husband always gets annoyed with the sound of my fingers on the keyboard too. He calls it grating, while I call it therapy. No harm, no foul, whatever. He sleeps like the dead anyway. But if all else fails, write something before bedtime, even if it's almost always crappy when you wake up in the morning.

5. BATHROOM words

Please tell me I'm not the only one who brings their laptop into the bathroom for peace? ANYONE? Seriously, though. I have no shame doing this. You can lock the door, ignore the world aroudn you for a good ten minutes before anyone notices you're gone.

So these options are not ideal, but for the busy mom or someone with a full time day job, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Now...tell me, how do YOU get the words written when you have no time?


Amazon | Barnes and Noble | iTunes | Kobo | Google

Collin Montgomery
Between boot camp and two TOD's in Iraq, my buddies Max, Gavin and me have been through some serious hell. So the last thing I ever expected was to find the biggest challenge of my life back home.
My girlfriend died. I couldn't even attend her funeral, let alone tell her goodbye or that I'm sorry I wasn't there like I should've been.
But she left me a gift. The best and scariest one I could've ever asked for. One I didn't think I could handle...until the day I saw her tiny blues looking up at me in that airport. Chloe.
Now here I am, raising my baby girl-with the help of my two best friends. Things couldn't be better. Until she walked into my life.
All I wanted was a nanny. Someone to take care of my girl when I couldn't. What I didn't count on was Addison, the brown-eyed temptress with a body of sin, and everything I didn't need, but suddenly wanted.





Pre-order now! 11/7/17

Amazon

Maxwell Martinez


I'm in love with a woman I can't have, and there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop myself from falling.
The problem? Her brother's my best friend.
I shouldn't want her this much. Not when it goes against the bro code. Not when I've never been able to commit to a woman for longer than a night.
But one look into her eyes and I'm a mess for her. She's my everything. And I have to walk away with nothing.






Comments

  1. Haha! Yes, I will try some of these ideas out. Definitely the phone one. Not sure on the bathroom one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment