Skip to main content

Men in Skirts

When we think of romance heroes, we don't always think of gents in skirts. As a romance writer, it's my job to think of these things, and mention them to you here, just for fun.

Of course, we all know and love the Highlander in his kilt, made famous by Jamie of OUTLANDER fame, as well as many other fine-looking men. My favorite being the hero of my latest Regency romance HOW TO SEDUCE A SCOT due out in December. Alex made my mouth water the whole time I wrote this book, and with the beautiful cover Sourcebooks created, you can see why.



But Highlanders were not the first European men to done a dress. The Greek citizens of Athens and the Senators of Rome all wore togas, as we see Caesar Augusts sporting one here. Now if that does not inspire amorous thoughts, nothing will...right? NOT.





I have to admit that Greeks and Romans are a hard sell for a romance audience, though reading about Greek gods is always fun. I adore Laura Kaye's romances, for example.



As we see, when Ms. Kaye's gods seduce modern women, they wear jeans.





Looking at Terry Spear's cover, the Highlander has even more appeal. The more I think about it, the more I like heroes in kilts.


Ever since Christy English picked up a fake sword in stage combat class at the age of fourteen, she has lived vicariously through the sword-wielding women of her imagination. Sometimes an actor, always a storyteller, Christy works happily with Sourcebooks Casablanca to bring the knife-throwing women of her novels to life. A banker by day and a writer by night, she loves to eat chocolate, drink too many soft drinks, and walk the mountain trails of her home in western North Carolina.



Comments

  1. I certainly appreciate a hero in a kilt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Shana! I don't know why, but they are just hot :)

      Delete
  2. True, but ironic...I tend to wear jeans most of the time myself, but do admire these guys in kilts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment