Skip to main content

Linda Broday: Beauty of The Texas Panhandle



Here in the Texas Panhandle it's usually always pretty dry. We have no trees to lock in the moisture and the wind blows a lot. This year though, we've seen an abundance of rain and it's even more beautiful.

A friend of mine owns a large ranch about 20 miles away that was first founded in the 1880s. The Santa Fe Trail runs across part of it and there is a grave of someone who died on that wagon train. No one knows the name of who'd buried there.

I love going out there to watch the cowboys work. It's fascinating to me. Last month was the roundup and branding. Most of these pictures are from that.


A field of pretty sunflowers
Texas Yucca - It grows everywhere.

Here are some shots of the cowboys. They were all ages, some as young as ten years old. It surprised me. During a roundup and branding, people from all the neighboring ranches come to lend a hand.

Above is one of the cowboy's horses. He had the softest eyes. Just beautiful.


To the right is a close up of the saddle and rope. See how worn the leather is? Not telling how hundreds of miles it's been on a horse's back with a cowboy in the saddle.




I think you get the picture. This is everyday life in this part of the country. I only have to go out to this ranch or another nearby for inspiration if I need it.




Contact me:

WEBSITE    FACEBOOK   TWITTER   GOODREADS   PINTEREST

Comments

  1. Fabulous pictures! You have another career as a photographer if you want it. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashlyn, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I just love going out there and taking pictures. I know I have one of an old dugout from the 1800s but I couldn't locate it last night.

      Delete
  2. What a great resource to add texture to your stories. I imagine it's both fascinating and exhausting to watch the roundup. Thanks for sharing the lovely pix!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment