Skip to main content

Books and Food

Do you ever notice how some books can make you hungry?

For example, I'm a fairly healthy eater, but I can't read any of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series without craving fast food. Fries, fried chicken, pizza, cake. Stephanie Plum can pack it away! I think I gain five pounds just reading about all she eats.

In my upcoming The Great Estate, the hero learns to cook. Not a typical skill for an Edwardian earl, but there it is. He makes gnocchi with sage butter to impress his estranged wife. Desperate times... You can find a similar recipe here and make it yourself, just in case you're craving gnocchi after reading (and I apologize in advance).

Martha Stewart's Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage 

The Great Estate is coming on August 4th, but you can preorder now:

Amazon: http://ow.ly/P3M9T
BN: http://ow.ly/LP1gG 
iTunes: http://ow.ly/LP1lc
BAM: http://ow.ly/P3NiR 

It took nearly losing Sophia for Gabriel to realize he had allowed his love for his great estate to distract him from his beautiful wife. But that time is over. Despite all the obstacles standing in their way, Gabriel vows to teach Sophia what it is to truly love...and to be loved by a husband devoted heart and soul to her every desire.




If you're in the NYC area on July 22, you can find some of us signing books at the Readers for Life Literacy Autographing. Join us!


Have you ever developed cravings while reading? Any good books-with-food recommendations? 


Comments

  1. Oh, my gosh, yes! It's awful when I'm on a diet or hungry and reading a book and the characters seem to be eating all the time. I never drank coffee until I got into JD Robb's In Death series. Eve loved coffee so much I had to try it. Recently I read So Long, Lollipops by Sarah Lyons Fleming, and the main character is stuck in a trailer and surrounded by zombies for days. He reads romance books to pass the time, and he's starving and thirsty. Poor guy. The characters are always eating. I could so relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm writing, I can hardly stop to eat. But when I'm revising, nom nom nom... can't stop snacking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Florand's Amour et Chocolat series is amazing. But you definitely need chocolate or some kind of pastry while you're reading!

    By the way, thank you for the gnocchi craving, Sherri. Now for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several series that I know are going to make me hungry when I read them...Duffy Brown with her yummy descriptions of Southern cuisine, Jennifer Estep with her BBQ and accompaniments, etc. Congrats on your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment