Skip to main content

A Home for the Heart by Grace Burrowes

I am writing this blog in a hotel room at Times Square, New York City. This part of the Big Apple is noisy, busy, crowded, non-stop, and about as far from my kinda place as I can imagine.

And yet, at the Romance Writers of American annual conference, I am having a fine, fine time. How can this be? I have no tolerance for noise, but the two hours of my last book signing--hugely noisy--flew by. I'm generally what the Nice People call tactile-avoidant, that is, slow to offer affection, but here, I'll hug practically anybody.

This conference is the only place I'm with people who get what I do as a writer. They understand the infinitely variable process of wrestling a 100,000-word story from a single line of prose. They grasp the never-ending challenge of maintaining good health while pursuing a sedentary livelihood. My RWA sisters and brothers know the terror and glee of a business that makes a rollercoaster look as adventurous as a porch swing.

At this conference, they get me. And yet, that's not a complete explanation for what's going on here. 

When I'm a child welfare attorney, I'm often in the same courtroom with other lawyers. They do what I do. They're often advocating for the same outcomes I am, and their clients can challenge them as mine do me. Those lawyers and I don't squeal with glee at the sight of each other, we don't light up with joy when one of us wins an appeal. We're professionally cordial (most of the time), no more.  

Part of the difference is the subject matter of the two professions, of course. Lawyers... well, they lawyer. If lawyers are involved, then some relationship--a marriage, a business, a social contract--is falling part. If a romance writer is on the scene, a happily ever after story is in the making. 
 
That doesn't explain the utter delight I see on so many faces at this conference. Something else is at work here, and I think it has to do with our readers. Somebody can love my books, read every one the day it comes out, and also love Emily Greenwood's books--reading each of those the day they come out. 

They can also love the books written by Susanna Ives, Samantha Grace, Roseanne Bittner... and fourteen other authors, too. As a result, romance authors are not only free of a sense of competition with each other, we shamelessly, gleefully, promote one another’s work. 

The passion our readers bring to the genre makes writing romance a joyous undertaking, one in which every author can pull for every other author, and challenges and triumphs are shared among us all.

So thank you readers, from the bottom of my heart, for creating this wondrous place for me and for so many others to write. To three commenters, I’ll send signed copies of my August release, Tremaine’s True Love.


Who are your people? What does it look like when you get together with them? 



Comments

  1. Boy can I relate! Here I am at home, remodeling a bathroom, planning a trip to Ireland, hostessing a family reunion and trying to fit writing and editing between it all. And I'm envious of the lot of you in NYC! Give Terry s hug for me. Safe home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a Sicilian family so we are loud and emotional and food always plays a part. And a big thank you to all authors/writers because reading is as necessary to me as breathing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My people can be found in online communities. We're readers, writers, artists and fans who bond with each other as well as what we love. Sometimes we come together in person and it is magical! Wish I was at RWA to soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my family- it's fun

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Janice above. I've discovered my people on the internet...such an awesome invention! To be able to connect with like minded people and find "friends" who get me. It's wonderful to feel like I belong and others "get" me. I am really looking forward to my first romance convention Sept 2016 at the Historical Romance Retreat in Spokane WA and meet some of my online friends face to face and make new friends in the community. I'm working on finding a local community of those who get me here in town but it's slow going. Have fun Grace and I pray someday I'll be able to see you face-to-face too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My people are definitely readers, especially romance readers. I'm in heaven when I can talk about books. My sister and I both love reading, so when I visit her we have fun talking about books and one year I timed my vacation so that I could be at her house for the RWA book signing which we attended together. That was awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family,especially my mother and sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family. I have my family and then I have my in laws. I enjoy spending time with both because everyone is different. I would like to thank you Grace and all of my favorite authors for writing those books that I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family are my people. It is chaos and fun when we get together with lots of food, chatting discussion about everything from news to books and movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family are my people. It is chaos and fun when we get together with lots of food, chatting discussion about everything from news to books and movies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My people are your people, Grace! It was so great to see you last week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for a nice post, Grace. My people are my family and my church community. When the family gets together, it's a mix of fun and games, food and noise, skinned knees and Dr. Seuss books...The church group is much quieter! Both are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Housing Market Forecast-Core problems of current real estate technology and the lack of real estate trends to help the investors

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! My people are my kids and they keep me entertained all day long :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment