Skip to main content

The Ever-expanding World

by M. L. Buchman

You know that insulation that you squirt in and it just sort of expands? 


Yep! My Night Stalkers series just keeps doing that to me. So I've spent the last few weeks trying to figure out how to explain to myself (never mind my readers) just what the heck is going on in my world of danger and true love among the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR).

I think I finally got a handle on it mostly. What made me really think about it was that I had two recent releases (April and May), both in that world and neither in the main series(es). That makes an author spend some time thinking.

THE NEW RELEASES

This great anthology (in many ways, 472pp) of 8 original military romance novellas by a stunning cast of authors is to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. All profits are going to this great charity to aid disabled veterans. Buy it for that reason alone if no other. In my story NSDQ (short for the Night Stalkers unofficial motto: "Night Stalkers Don't Quit"), I follow a wounded woman pilot as she seeks a road to recovering her health, her purpose, and her heart. She meets a trainer at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington State where both the real 4th Battalion and my fictitious 5th Battalion D Company are stationed.

Then some of my more adventurous characters decided to found a whole new Night Stalkers Company, the 5E. Connie Davis and Big John crossed over from Wait Until Dark and my new cast has launched onto new adventures...something about surfing a helicopter in China?!

THE PUZZLE
So how to explain the myriad expanding-foam world of my Night Stalkers. I finally tripped upon the concept of "Sub-series."

  • Yes these books all stand alone and can be read in any order. 
  • Yes there is an order to them that provides little cool treats and cookies. The full order is HERE.
  • But, also yes, there are some books more tightly connected together than others. So here's my stab at explaining how the Night Stalkers world works.
THE EMILY BEALE QUARTET & THE MICHAEL GIBSON DUO

And this world will have a follow-on of the "Chinook Quartet" starting with By Break of Day next spring.

THE WHITE HOUSE TRILOGY & THE USS PELELIU TRILOGY (only 1 book so far in the latter -another coming this summer!)

THE 5E QUARTET (only 1 book so far -more this summer!)

THE NOVELLA & SHORT STORIES
I do love short fiction. I have origin stories for Emily, Mark, and Michael. Even future Night Stalkers.

There, now my head has stopped hurting so much.

...Did I mention that in June I'll be releasing Book #3 of my Smokejumper Trilogy sub-series to my Firehawks main series? (YOIKS! More fun awaits!)

And don't miss the Firehawks short story presently free on my website! Hurry, it goes away on May 20th! (Hint: Sign up for my newsletter at the same time so you don't miss a one!)




M. L. Buchman has over 35 novels in print. His military romantic suspense books have been named Barnes & Noble and NPR “Top 5 of the year” and Booklist “Top 10 of the Year.” He has been nominated for the Reviewer’s Choice Award for “Top 10 Romantic Suspense of 2014” by RT Book Reviews. In addition to romance, he also writes thrillers, fantasy, and science fiction.


In among his career as a corporate project manager he has: rebuilt and single-handed a fifty-foot sailboat, both flown and jumped out of airplanes, designed and built two houses, and bicycled solo around the world. He is now making his living as a full-time writer on the Oregon Coast with his beloved wife. He is constantly amazed at what you can do with a degree in Geophysics. You may keep up with his writing by subscribing to his newsletter at www.mlbuchman.com.

Comments

  1. Lovely story, thanks for sharing. I was delighted to remember what NSDQ meant before I started reading it, and enjoyed it as well! Good luck on all of the new releases, sounds like you have a lot of balls in the air that you are juggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juggle, juggle! Juggle! GASP! Juggle-juggle-juggle! LOL! It's one of the things I love about this career, it's so much fun to play! Glad you enjoyed the story! All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment