Friday, May 22, 2015

Interview with My Six-Year-Old Daughter

Not long ago, my daughter (known online as Little Miss R) brought this essay home from her first-grade class.

Look at that! I have a cool job! I was pretty delighted by this.

This past weekend, LMR picked up a pretty bad virus that kept her home with me for four days straight. To pass the time on one of those days, I decided to interview her. Here's how it went. I typed exactly what she said--except for the end, when she begged me to let her have a turn at the keyboard.

*     *     *
Me: You’re home today because you’re sick. And I’m home with you because this is where I do my work. What do you know about my work?

LMR: You write books. And you write them about ladies in dresses. They all have shiny words on the front.

Me: That’s all true. What are your favorite kinds of books?

LMR: Ones that are Garfield books and princess books. I like them because there are movies based on them and I like movies that are from books.

Me: So you like when you get a lot of a story you really enjoy.

LMR: Yeah.

Me: What are you reading this morning?

LMR: I finished reading Junie B., First Grader Aloha-ha-ha! and I’m more than half done with Wait Till Helen Comes. I like scary things and I like Junie B. books.

Me: What about books about boyfriends and girlfriends? Do you like those?

LMR: Gross.

Me: Well, that’s what I write.

LMR: Ok, then I probably won’t want to read your books until I’m like your age and I get to be married and stuff.

Me: That’s ok. My books are meant for grown-ups. But we can both enjoy looking at those pretty covers.

LMR: Yeah.

Me: Which book cover is your favorite?

LMR: I like Season for Scandal because it’s pink and it has a pretty dress. And The Chocolate Kiss because it’s pink and I love macarons.

  


Me: What is your favorite thing to do when you’re home sick?

LMR: Do perler beads and watch something. Like SpongeBob.

She picked these pieces as the ones she's most proud of. "Put them on the website so I'll be famous."

Me: Ok, maybe we can do that later. Before we end the interview, what’s the coolest thing about Mommy?

LMR: She is very nice. And she doesn’t care if I call her “man” or “dude.”

Me: Do you want to do some typing now?

LMR:  kljfghjhrjgjnjvcvnjvbvigjn jjjgjj hjhghgghhghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghhghghhghgjghghgtuyghgrghj    
Hhjfencvbhgr ggnngbf

Me: No words? C’mon, you’re a big girl.

LMR: ok fine!12345678910 yo yo yo yo  LLLLMMMMMRRRR that's     MMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*     *     *
Ah, well. So my stories are still gross to my six-year-old. That's...actually ok with me for now. (We'll revisit in another twelve years or so, maybe.) 

Want to ask her a question of your own? She's home from school again today; her last day of first grade was yesterday. Or want to tell me about your favorite book cover? Little Miss R's favs are heavy on the pink. We'd both love to chat with you.

Historical romance author Theresa Romain pursued an impractical education that allowed her to read everything she could get her hands on. She then worked for universities and libraries, where she got to read even more. Eventually she started writing, too. She lives with her family in the Midwest. Find her at theresaromain.com or on Facebook or Twitter.


13 comments:

  1. Pink is always a good thing! Enjoy it while it last...soon her favorite color will be some horrible combo of black and blue and you'll wonder where your little pink princess went! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, ha! It's probably coming. For now, I usually wear black or gray with jeans and she thinks I'm as boring as can be.

      Delete
  2. Little Miss R - Hope you're feeling better. Is there anything special you want to do over your summer vacation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMR: "Swim!!!" (she told me how many exclamation marks to use)

      Delete
  3. Little Miss R--I love books with pink covers, too! Have a great summer!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMR: "COOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!" (she told me exactly how to type that)

      Delete
  4. Howdy Little Miss r! What's your
    Favorite dessert?

    Also, I'm not a huge fan of pink so my favorite of your mom's is It Takes Two To Tangle. Red dresses are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMR: "My favorite dessert is STRAWBERRY SHORTCAAAAAAKE!!!!!"

      Delete
  5. Hi Little Miss R, hope you are feeling much better. I am afraid I didn't know what perler beads were, but I sure like those pieces you shared, especially the kitten. Congratulations on going into second grade, I bet you will have lots of fun things to learn next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMR: "I totally WIIIILLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

      Delete
  6. As you can all see from Little Miss R's dictated comments, she is a very calm and restrained child. :) And yes, she is feeling much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing those stories are gross for Little Miss R. Princess Galen is STILL going on about her boyfriend. They've been "going steady" a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, PG! No wonder you call her a romance heroine in training. :)

      Delete