Skip to main content

St. Paddy's Day by Terri L. Austin



To brush up on our history, Patrick, born to Roman parents living in Britain, was taken captive in a raid and held in Ireland until he escaped some six years later. After becoming a Catholic priest, and later a bishop, he returned to Ireland as a missionary. 

According to legend, he taught the principle of the trinity using the shamrock and banished snakes from the land. 


Naturally, we honor his feast day by drinking green beer, getting blotto, and having a parade. Because that is our way.

 So put on a pair of shamrock shaped glasses or a silly green hat and celebrate all things Irish. Like downing a Guinness. (Made in Dublin since 1759.)
Belt out a U2 song, or better yet, dig out that Cranberries CD you listened to incessantly in high school.

People all over the world are partying in honor of Ireland's patron saint. Yes, Chicago turns their river green.
 But Australia, India, and Japan give a nod to the day, as well. 


Personally, I’m tipping my plastic green bowler by throwing in a picture of my pretend UFC boyfriend, Conor McGregor. Because I lurve him.



Although my family emigrated from Ireland many, many years ago, on March 17th, everyone is a little Irish. So happy St. Paddy's Day, all!


 

Comments

  1. Fun day! My daughter is part of an Irish dancing group, so we're going to watch the advanced class dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the food. And the luck of the Irish. Nice article, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen! I love the food, too. We have an Irish pub here in town that does a mean boxty. Mmm.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I love the history behind our holidays. Also funny how you said naturally we honor this day by getting blotto. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! Getting blotto is the highest form of regard, no?

      Delete
  4. Hola Terri!

    Hmm...I should have made Irish soda bread. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy St. Pat's, Jennifer Tanner! I do love some Irish soda bread. Perfect w/ a bowl of stew.

      Delete

Post a Comment