Skip to main content

All I Want for Christmas

Last week, my daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas. She's five and spends her 50 cents a week allowance as soon as she gets it, so she has about 8 cents to her name. I couldn't think of a single thing to tell her.



It was so incredibly sweet of her to ask me what I wanted. I wanted to tell her I just wanted to have a nice holiday with her or for everyone to stay safe and healthy, but I knew she wouldn't accept those answers. She wants to give me something tangible. I ran through the list I'd given my family, trying to think of something she could manage. Fitbit? No. Kindle? No. New running shoes? No.

Finally Princess Galen chimed in: Mommy, I thought you might want a book to read.

Me: Yes, I love reading books, but I can't think of any I want at the moment. (By which I meant, none she could get me)

Princess Galen: Maybe I could write a book for you.

Me: I'd love that.

PG: I could draw all the pictures too.

Me: That would be great. You'd better ask Daddy to help you.

PG: OK!

Princess Galen at age 2. Now she's writing books (maybe).


I don't know if I'll get the book. It's a big project for a 5-year-old who can't read more than 25 words on her own and only knows how to spell her name. But it reminds me of what Christmas is all about--thinking of others, giving of ourselves to others, giving from the heart not the wallet.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones.


Comments

  1. How precious! My kids still don't have money to buy me gifts and go the homemade route. My daughter always makes me something and my son gives me several coupons for car washes (by him)..which I love! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember making my mm coupons. Those are great gifts.

      Delete
  2. She is so adorable. I feel like I've watched her grow up on facebook. Some of her offerings are priceless! Give her a Christmas hugs for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. It will be a beautifully illustrated book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of yet, I haven't seen any evidence of the book being made...

      Delete
  4. Lovely story and it's the thought that counts lol. Seems to me I remember her "writing" you another book - a real book, not like what you did lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! That was the story of Lucky Duck! I'd love to see Lucky Duck Christmas!

      Delete
  5. The best gifts are those from the heart... Hope all her Christmas wishes come true.. She is a delightful little girl and I enjoy her conversations.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...so perfect! Merry Christmas, all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment