Skip to main content

A little slice of Australia...

I've always been fascinated with history, and last weekend my boyfriend and I had a chance to explore a little piece of local history. 

I live in a small town in country Victoria, Australia. The discovery of gold in the area in 1857 set off a bit of a boom, though most of the area is known for farming, and there are some beautiful old homesteads in the area from that era that remind me a little of the one from The Man From Snowy River, which is one of my favourite movies (I'm not sure if this is a movie Americans might have seen, but its definitely a fun one!). 

So when one of the local homesteads, 'Lexington' was opened for the day for an Open Garden, I was keen to explore. Market stalls, a band, gorgeous gardens, and delicious food. Count me in. 

Here are a few of the photos, to show a little bit of a different Australia to the one usually seen in tourism photos. 

The style of the house is set facing the South, which is Georgian apparently. 




The local Grampians mountain range.


I adore rose gardens, and this one was beautiful. 



The best part of the day, however, was the home-made ice cream one of the stalls was selling. Salted caramel ice cream in a waffle cone. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that one: it didn't last long enough. 

Question: Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any Australian films? I'm actually not certain if they distribute worldwide. 

Comments

  1. Regarding Australian movies the first that comes to mind was The Thornbirds Mini Series with Richard Chamberlain way back when. Then my next thought is that many movies are filmed in Australia and New Zealand and pretend to be set elsewhere especially sci-fi/superhero/fantasy movies. By the way I adore your books :) Here in the States we are about to celebrate Thanksgiving so Happy Thanksgiving all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glittergirl! Ooh, Thornbirds, I have heard of that, but never seen it! Seemed kind of racy!

      Delete
  2. How cool Bec! Thank you for sharing your home town with us :) I am a huge fan of The Thornbirds too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy. I'm always curious about where in the world other authors live, and what it's really like - versus what it looks like in movies LOL - so thought I'd share.

      Delete
  3. The Man From Snowy River is still a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the movie "Australia" count? :) Man, that ice cream you described has me hankering for some NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It counts LOL, though it's... interesting. And now I want ice cream again too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment