Even though I’m here at the Casablanca Authors Blog to dish about my newest book IN BED WITH A ROGUE (released September 2nd), I can’t ignore another very important day in September. On Sunday, my husband and I celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary!
If you look inside the front cover of my latest book, you’ll find this dedication:
For my husband, who shares my quirky sense of humor and appreciation for the slightly absurd.
What prompted this particular dedication was the role he played in one of my favorite scenes in the book. We were sitting in the Chicago O’Hare airport having lunch during a two-hour layover, and I was worrying about whether I was going to reach my deadline for IN BED WITH A ROGUE. I roughly knew what needed to happen in the book between the two Rival Rogues, but I wasn’t sure how to accomplish it. That’s when it’s good to have a male brain to pick. “What would a dude do?”
I really wanted Sebastian Thorne and Anthony Keaton, Earl of Ellis, to make amends in this book, so we started talking about how they could join forces—Anthony would be Sebastian’s second in a duel, because it’s MANLY—but no one could die—enter the feminine twist. My husband was pretending to challenge me to a duel by fake slapping me with a glove, and suddenly the whole duel started to take shape in my mind. I couldn’t wait to get to the scene where Sebastian’s sister chooses the weapons—Gloves! We laughed so hard and I hope others will find it funny, too. My husband’s sense of humor is just one of the things that makes him great.
As a gift to him, I asked our kids to help me create a list of 18 reasons he is great to give to him on our anniversary. I won’t share all of them here on the blog—just some of my favorites.
At first, I asked them to tell me what makes him hero material and here’s what our son said, “From what I remember when I was little, his beard tickles when he kisses you???” LOL! I don’t think he’ll be writing romances when he grows up.
The kids’ list:
- Anything he likes, he wants you to like. Some dads say, “Never stop trying”, and our dad just says, “Try the food. Try it! Try it!”
- He can fall asleep while sitting up and he can sleep through anything. (So they can make as much noise as they want.)
- “I love how he thinks of me when he watches funny stuff and then wants me to watch it, too.” Our 11-year-old girl
Not bad, kiddos! Now I’ll take over.
- He can play the devil’s advocate in hypothetical situations, but when things get real, he is ALWAYS on my side.
- After our kids are in bed and I’m writing, he asks if I he can get anything for me and he means it. Cup of tea? No problem!
- He folds the laundry I leave on the bed and forget about without ever complaining.
- He hugs me every time he comes home from work, and when our daughter was little, he would pick her up and hold her between us to “Make a sandwich”.
- He’s proud to tell his colleagues and friends that I’m a romance writer.
- He is nice to my friends and genuinely likes them.
- He knows and respects that he should never touch my food without first asking. (But he still pretends like he’s going to eat it just to get me worked up.) LOL!
So happy anniversary to my husband and happy reading to everyone! I’d love to hear what makes you appreciate someone important in your life. Could be a parent, best friend, significant other, or even a beloved pet.
By Samantha Grace
September 2, 2014
He’s the Talk of the Town
The whole town is tittering about Baron Sebastian Thorne having been jilted at the altar. Every move he makes ends up in the gossip columns. Tired of being the butt of everyone’s jokes, Sebastian vows to restore his family’s reputation no matter what it takes.
She’s the Toast of the Ton
Feted by the crème of society, the beautiful widow Lady Prestwick is a vision of all that is proper. But Helena is no angel, and when Sebastian uncovers her dark secret, he’s quick to press his advantage. In order to keep her hard-won good name, Helen will have to make a deal with the devil. But she’s got some tricks up her sleeves to keep this notorious rogue on his toes…
Buy In Bed with a Rogue:
Historical romance author Samantha Grace discovered the appeal of a great love story when she was just a young girl, thanks to Disney’s Robin Hood. She didn’t care that Robin Hood and Maid Marian were cartoon animals. It was her first happily-ever-after experience and she didn’t want the warm fuzzies to end. Now Samantha enjoys creating her own happy-endings for characters that spring from her imagination. Publishers Weekly describes her stories as “fresh and romantic” with subtle humor and charm. Samantha describes romance writing as the best job ever.
Connect with Samantha:
Twitter: @SamGraceAuthor https://twitter.com/SamGraceAuthor