By Danielle Dresser
Happy New Year! It’s always exciting to have a fresh start. I thought I’d share my list of things I’m working towards this year, in regards to publicity:
1. Social Media. It seems like everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is doing it… Some people sing it’s praises, some people hate it. Secret confession—I fall in the latter category. However, it has become a great way for authors and readers to connect, and a fast way to get information out to a targeted audience. Are hashtags really the only way to reach that targeted audience? What can Instagram add to a romance author’s profile (aside from showing the world what you had for dinner)? How many pins does it take to make an impact on Pinterest? I’m not sure I’ll find out all of these answers, but I plan on doing some research into what makes sense.
2. New Romance Media. New blogs pop up every day. New requests for books for review are sent to me every day. Do I approve every single review request that comes in? No—I’m actually pretty stingy because I want to make sure our books are being sent to places that will actually give a thoughtful and fair review (NOTE—I did not say positive. I said thoughtful and fair. We cannot expect every review to be glowing.). So, a new goal of mine is to do more research into finding new places to cover romance. Are there print outlets we’re overlooking? Are there opportunities beyond the usual romance bloggers? Not that I won’t continue to work with the awesome romance bloggers that are already out there, I’m just looking to see who else is out there!
3. Lose Weight. As much as I’d like to do this in my life outside of publishing, who knows if it will actually happen :) But I do know that this year, I want to focus on getting rid of the extra things I don’t have to do—do I really need to subscribe to this newsletter? Can I give more to our interns to do? Are there things I can cut that will also give authors less to do—and more time to devote to other things? I think this will be an important area to explore. Think of all the time we’ll save and have to work on other things!
4. Read More. And not just stuff about PR and Marketing and all that jazz. Grant it, in 2013, I had a wedding to plan and a record amount of books to work on, but I’d like to read many more books in 2014!
5. Lower my expectations. This probably sounds weird, because as a publicist, I should always be shooting for the top, right? The biggest and best and everything in between… However, I think there’s something to be said about “everything in between.” Maybe this ties in to my second resolution, but I think there’s more out there than just the usual suspects when it comes this whole PR thing. And I want to find it. But that might mean starting small and continually growing. We live in a world where things are expected to happen in an instant, but I think there are things that we can do that will be more of a slow build, that will have a long lasting impact. I’ll continue to explore this, and share my thoughts throughout the year.
What are your resolutions this year? To motivate your own goals for 2014, I’ll give away a prize pack of three fun gift books from Sourcebooks: 50 Ways to Say Your Awesome, In the Garden of Thoughts and Instant Fortunes Sticky Notes. (1 winner, US and Canada only, please be sure to leave an email address so I can contact you. Authors this is open to you, too! Winner will be chosen on Friday, 1/10/14)