At a meeting last week of the entire Sourcebooks Romance team, including editorial, sales, marketing, PR, we got into a discussion of what readers get out of romance fiction. We discovered (no surprise) how much we LOVE romance fiction!
Here’s what we came up with—how about you? What do YOU get out of reading romance?
Post your answers here on the blog—one lucky post-er will get a package of Sourcebooks romances hand-picked by me!
- · Delight
- · Joy
- · Entertainment
- · Escape, sometimes just from daily life, sometimes from really tough circumstances
- · Community—it’s so much fun to share books with friends, sisters, colleagues, etc.
- · Validation of female desire
- · Empowerment—we see ourselves taking charge of our lives
- · Dreams come true
- · Hope that love really does conquer all
- · Reaffirms our love for love
- · Reminds us of the good parts of our relationships
- · Allows us to dream of the ideal relationship
- · Shows that the path to true love doesn’t run smooth, but there’s a happy ending just around the bend
- · Affirms people’s ability to change and to step up to difficult situations
- · Creativity—so much imagination goes into romance stories
At this holiday season, we at Sourcebooks are so thankful for our authors, and their wonderful, enlightening, empowering, re-affirming and fantastically fun romances!
Blessings to everyone for a great Thanksgiving! Shouts out to Mary Altman, our new editor in the New York office, and to our editor Cat Clyne, who’s been working with romance and kids’ books and is now fully focused on romance!
Remember to pitch us your stories!
Submission guidelines are here: http://www.sourcebooks.com/resources/romance-fiction-submission-guidelines.html