Skip to main content

Conference Season Is Coming...

by Leah Hultenschmidt, Senior



It’s that time of year, folks!  Conference season is practically upon us.  My colleague Deb Werksman is heading to the Pike’s Peak conference in Colorado in a few weeks, and that same weekend I’ll at the Washington Romance Writers Retreat, which I’m super excited about.  A few short weeks after that we’ll have the team in Kansas City for the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention.  And, of course, we’ll also be at the nationalRWA conference in July.  Whew!

We’re starting to work on presentations now, and I want to know what YOU want to know.  This is your chance: ask me anything in the comment section below.  I'll be responding for the next week.

Look forward to seeing you!

Comments

  1. I'm pouting already about RT but can't wait to see the team at RWA! Question: Will you be taking pitches? I'd like to pass that on to some friends so they can get in line if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you become an editor? I have years of book retail experience and I love reading the ARCs and writing reviews, but I would love to do more in the book industry. What does an editor do and how do you become one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria - I'm so looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn - Yes, I will be taking pitch appointments. They have me scheduled for Thursday after the Sourcebooks spotlight (which is at 10 a.m. - mark your calendars!) and then for another hour on Friday afternoon. Your friends should get in touch with Jo Carol or the on-site coordinator to reserve a time slot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VR - bookstore experience is a great to have if you're looking to get into publishing. I'm not sure what part of the country you're from. In NYC, obviously, publishers abound and I would check out their website for internship opportunities and assistant positions. And, of course, Sourcebooks in the Chicago area. There are also a number of e-publishers who hire freelance editors--Entangled, Samhain, or Carina, to name a few. Those places don't tie you to a specific location, but you'll need to show them you know how to evaluate and editorially develop a full manuscript. You might also consider looking at literary agencies to get a foot in the door. Or apply to be a copyeditor or proofreader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I'll look into that. I'm in Chicago too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're coming to RT?! This is awesomesauce. I live here and can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment