Please welcome fellow Casa author Jane Ashford, author of ONCE AGAIN A BRIDE—in stores this month. We did an interview to keep things lively!
1. This is your first new book in over ten years! What’s it like to be back? JA: Lovely! The romance community is such a busy and exciting place these days, with so much information and conversation on the web and so many new types of stories.
2. Tell us a little bit about your newest book, Once Again a Bride. JA: It’s about a young woman, Charlotte, who gets a second chance at love. The first chance was a miserable failure. Her dying father pushed her into marriage with an acquaintance of his, wanting her to be safe when he was gone. But the despicable Henry Wylde only wanted Charlotte’s money to expand his antiquities collection. He treats Charlotte with contempt, and lets his servants do the same. When his death sets her free, Charlotte finds herself nearly penniless and, eventually, suspected of murder.
Henry’s nephew Alec thinks his life is totally under control, though he feels a bit burdened by his many responsibilities. The discovery that his reclusive old uncle was married, and left a lovely young widow, gradually turns his world upside down.
The book also tells the love story of Charlotte’s maid Lucy Bowman and Ethan Trask, a footman in Alec’s household.
3. What are some of your favorite things about writing a historical romance? Anything you love about the Regency time period in particular? JA: I love the language of past periods, particularly the English Regency. I think it offers opportunities for elegance and wit. That era was a little less buttoned up than, for example, the Victorians. That said, the strictures of society make for interesting plot complications.
4. I really liked that in Once Again a Bride, you get to see two love stories—one with Sir Alec and Charlotte, and another with Ethan, one of Alec’s footmen, and Lucy, Charlotte’s maid. What inspired this secondary love story? JA: I think it began with the idea that Lucy was having almost as hard a time in Henry Wylde’s unhappy household as Charlotte. She longed to leave, and she could have; she could have gotten another position. But she’d been with Charlotte so long and was devoted to her interests. I started to wonder what that would mean for an individual and her own happiness. And then somebody had to help bathe Lizzie’s fearsome cat, and Ethan came along. The rest is history!
5. What are some things you like to do in your free time? JA: I like getting together with good friends, walking in nature, movies. I love animals and have volunteered at SPCA shelters.
6. Who are some of your favorite authors? Read anything good lately? JA: I’ve been doing some reading for the Rita Awards, which is always a pleasure. I read lots of different genres, so it’s hard to pick favorites. I love Charles de Lint’s urban fantasy, Laurie King’s books, Alice Hoffman.
7. Of course, we all want to know what is coming next for you and your writing! JA: My next historical is called A Compliant Husband. You can read a bit about it at http://www.janeashford.com/wip.html
8. Anything else you’d like to add? JA: Thanks for having me. I’ll be at the RT Book Lovers Convention in May. Hope to see everyone there!
Thank you so much to Jane for visiting with us today! We are so glad she’s back! To enter to win one of two copies of Once Again a Bride, please what is your favorite thing about reading historical romances, or tell us what your favorite romance genre to read is and why! US and Canada only, please leave an email address so we can reach you. Winners will be chosen on Friday, February 15.
ONCE AGAIN A BRIDE BY JANE ASHFORD – IN STORES NOW
She couldn’t be more alone…
Widowhood has freed Charlotte Wylde from a demoralizing and miserable marriage. But when her husband’s intriguing nephew and heir arrives to take over the estate, Charlotte discovers she’s unsafe in her own home… Alec Wylde was shocked by his uncle’s untimely death, and even more shocked to encounter his uncle’s beautiful young widow. Now clouds of suspicion are gathering, and charges of murder hover over Charlotte’s head.
He could be her only hope…or her next victim…
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jane Ashford discovered Georgette Heyer in junior high school and was captivated by the glittering world and witty language of Regency England. That delight led her to study English literature and travel widely in Britain and Europe. Jane’s historical and contemporary romances have been published all over the world, and she has been nominated for a Career Achievement Award by RT Book Reviews. Eighteen of her Regency romances will be published by Sourcebooks in the near future! Born in Ohio, Jane currently lives in Boston. For more information, please visit www.janeashford.com.
To Purchase Once Again a Bride: