Skip to main content

WHY WRITING ROMANCE IS THE WORLD’S COOLEST JOB


Being a writer has to be the best job in the world. For years I’ve spent hours lost within the different worlds within books and now I get to create them! Here’s a little list of the reasons why I love writing romance so much:

 ·     I get to make stuff up for a living.

·      Is that Richard Armitage on my computer, honey? Please, I’m just researching my latest novel. Yes, it’s true. I can officially look for pictures of my latest hero inspiration and claim it’s part of the job. I’m a very visual writer and I have very kind writerly friends who send me excellent research materials.

·      Tea is the official drink for authors. Which means I can drink copious amounts of it.

·      Writing steampunk romance is fun. I get to imagine all sorts of impossible dilemmas to put my hero and heroine into and then craft ways to get back out again. Want to put a werewolf into a kraken submergible? No problem! My hero and heroine running from a regiment of automaton guards? Sure, we can do that.

·      No official dress code means that I can show up to work in my fluffy pink dressing gown and ugg boots. The only problem with this is that my study is right near the front door, so I’ve been sprung in this attire many a time by people trying to sell me stuff.

·      I’m pretty much my own boss. Of course, this is only cool until you realise you have to set your own hours and meet deadlines.

·      Staring out the window and daydreaming is pretty much a pre-requisite of the job.

·      It’s all about the happy-ever-after. There may be moments when I take my characters to dark places, but in the end I know it’s all going to be okay.

·      And last but not least, I get sexy heroes (like Blade) whispering in my ear and trying to tell me how the story goes. Mind you, if he’d gotten his way, Kiss of Steel would have been a whole lot more R-rated and shorter.

It might have taken a few years to get to this point (the years of unpaid apprenticeship are kind of the downside of the job), but now that I’m here I’m loving every second of it.

So tell me… what’s your dream job? And why?



KISS OF STEEL

A brilliantly creative debut where vampires, werewolves, and clockwork creatures roam the mist–shrouded streets of London…
When Nowhere is Safe…
Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?
Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single–handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood–craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.
When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so…innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel—or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.

Comments

  1. My dream job is the same! I don't get to write full time yet, but I love those hours working in my fuzzy robe and slippers with hard cider at hand and my muse over my shoulder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing my dream job! I am the branch librarian in my small town. It's my dream job because I love books..

    mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm living the same dream, Bec! However, having recently received W2 forms from several different sources, one drawback to being an author comes to mind. I still have to pay taxes on those royalties. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm living the dream also!!! I quit my library job to write full time. Too many wolves and jaguars and hunky Highlanders vying for attention. Something had to give!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I love your post. Congrats on living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a full time writer for fourteen years...and I love it as much today as I did the day I started it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, I always wanted to be a librarian as a kid! Anything to be around books all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey guys, sounds like we all share similar dreams (:
    Brooklyn - what is hard cider out of curiosity?
    Cheryl - Yes, the not-so-cool things about being a writer would definitely be taxes. Oh and probably writing synopses.
    Terry - I can see how that would be hard to juggle LOL
    Shana - Thanks!
    Carolyn - I'm hoping to go full time later in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Beth! It's fermented apple cider. Gives the muse a nice buzz. :) Also,it has fewer calories than wine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment