Hello, everyone! Greetings from one of the new kids on the block. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some of you last summer at the RWA Conference in Anaheim, and I hope to meet the rest of you too, once I settle in. Beth suggested I write a “Five Things You Don’t Know About Me” blog, which seems as good a way as any to start things off, so here goes:
1. You might guess this one from my photo: I am a third-generation Chinese-American. My father grew up in a traditional Chinese family, my mother in a non-Chinese family with traditions of its own. They relocated to Southern California from New York before I was born, so I consider myself a native Californian and thoroughly assimilated, though I value my Asian heritage.
2. I have a retentive but strangely selective memory. Seriously. I remember snatches of poems I learned as a child, lyrics to obscure or novelty songs, equally obscure trivia or historical facts, and the times tables--but I tend to forget things like people’s names and passwords to e-commerce sites. It must be a short-term vs. long-term thing.
3. I love to cook. After writing and reading, cooking may be my favorite activity. Stories grow out of abstract elements--thoughts and ideas that continually change and evolve--so there is something oddly relaxing and reassuring about handling concrete, physical things like kitchen utensils and ingredients.
4. I adore traditional music, especially Celtic: the Tannahill Weavers, Steeleye Span, Loreena McKennitt, Queen Mab, and Silly Wizard are among my favorite artists. I’ve been known to write action scenes to the accompaniment of skirling bagpipes and rumbling bodhrans. Music in general tends to play a part in many of my stories.
5. I used to follow the figure skating season religiously, from Skate America in the fall all the way to the World Championships in early spring. While I’m less obsessive about the sport than I used to be, I know I’ll glued to the TV trying to watch every figure skating event when the 2014 Winter Olympics comes along.
+1. My debut novel, WALTZ WITH A STRANGER--a historical romance set in Victorian England--will be released on December 4, 2012.