Skip to main content

What's Hot and What's Not

by Amanda Forester

I am so excited to be going next week to the Romance Writers of America annual conference in Anaheim, CA.  In my excitement to have access to a pool, I decided to take a chance and purchase a bathing suit. Now I have kids, so shopping alone is not always possible. So I ended up trying on bathing suits with two kids "helping" me pick the right suit.

Let's just say if I suffered from false pride, I have been cured. Here's a sample of some of the ever so tactful statements uttered by my loving cherubs.

         "Ewww, is it supposed to look like that?"
         "I see your tummy sticking out."
         "Too much tushy, mommy, too much tushy!"
         "You don't look like the picture on the tag."        
          "Don't you want us to tell you the truth?"

Um, no, I really don't want the truth. So if you need to be grounded (translate: humbled, humiliated, mortified), let me recommend taking my children with you shopping.  I did return with a suit, something with as much fabric as possible and a skirt down to my knees!

Now that we've covered what's NOT hot, let me talk about what is - the RWA annual conference!  One thing I am looking forward to is the 2012 "Readers for Life" Literacy Autographing.  This is a huge, I mean HUGE book signing event with hundreds of romance authors (myself included!).  Proceeds are donated to ProLiteracy Worldwide and local literacy organizations, so you can meet your favorite author, buy some great books, and fight illiteracy all in one event - awesome!

Here are the details:
  • Wednesday, July 25, 2012; 5–8 p.m.
  • Convention Center, Ballroom (third floor)
  • Anaheim, CA 
This event is free to the public so I hope to see everyone there!

So as I get ready for my trip (and recover from the psychological trauma of bathing suit shopping with my now fired personal assistants), let me know your itinerary for this summer.  What are your hot summer plans?



Comments

  1. Thankfully, my daughter is of an age where she would rather crawl under the door of the dressing room than critique me. But that doesn't make it any easier to take her shopping! I bought my bathing suits online.

    See you next week at RWA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that stage! Turn around and they are gone! You are brave to buy suits online!

      Delete
  2. That's too funny, Amanda!! Looking forward to seeing you at conference! :) Then I'm off to see my daughter the next weekend in Houston to watch Cirque du Soleil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing you too! Have fun with your daughter!

      Delete
  3. Out of the mouths of babes comes to mind as I read your story...
    I have not bene up to much this sommer.. Just haning out at home and doing a lot of reading for July. In August I am going for a long weeknd to a friends place..That's about the extent of my summer plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the sad part is I know they are telling me the truth! Doing a lot of reading sounds like my favorite vacatoon'

      Delete
    2. Vacatoon? Is that a vacation watching cartoons? I meant vacation!

      Delete
  4. Amanda, I'm on my way to the conference. I had enough trouble finding a decent dress and shoes for the RITA...didn't even think about a swim suit (said with a shudder). See you in a few days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment