Skip to main content

LUCKY WITH COVERS, by Kathryne Kennedy


Okay, I’ll admit, I’m not sure if I believe in random luck. Making your own luck, though, I definitely believe in. I’m the first to admit that there’s a lot of luck in publishing…catching that editor at just the right time with a story that moves her. But unless you are really working at your craft--writing, and submitting your stories--‘luck’ will never have a chance to strike.

But my luck surely held when I became a Sourcebooks author. From an editor who truly cares about her authors to an owner who is dedicated to building her author’s careers to a publicist who cares just as much about promoting your books as you do, I got very lucky. And this is where I get to the subject of my post. My covers.

I think my covers just keep getting better and better. In many ways my stories are a challenge. I mix fantasy and history and romance in pretty much equal measure, and that’s really hard to translate in a cover. So Sourcebooks truly had a challenge when they took me on as an author, since my books were so unusual (although I’m seeing more books with this genre mix, which is wonderful for me since I love to read them!)

So how do you draw a reader into this magical, historical, romantic world? Take a look at the new cover for Enchanting the Lady, releasing in August. It’s eye-catching at first glance, but as you look closer, more and more of the details truly create that magical world and draw you in. My favorite aspect is the dragonette on my heroine’s shoulder. And is it just me, or does the hero kinda’ look like Han Solo?

Wishing you the best in making your own luck this year,

Kathryne

Comments

  1. Definitely looks like Han! I love my covers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, we've all heard the cliche that it's more likely you'll be hit by lightning than get published, so don't tell me there isn't some luck involved.
    What I like about your cover is that it could not have gone on ANY other book but yours. That is high praise when it seems we're bombarded with nakey-nakey man tummies, and full moons (paranormal), and other stock elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we're lucky that we have such a wonderful art department that makes riveting covers. I can't tell how much fans can't wait for me to reveal the next cover! And what's truly wonderful? Several share the covers with the rest of the world.

    I have a cover for a book with another publisher that is truly atrocious. I didn't suggest it. I didn't ask for it. I did ask for changes, and was told no. Do I want to share it with the world? No. And so I don't. We are definitely lucky that the cover gods at Sourcebooks are doing such a fantastic job! And we are proud to share them with the world! Love your cover, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cover! Han Solo is my favorite rogue. Why can't I have him on MY next cover? Deb, are you reading this? Han, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your covers too, Cheryl, and the stories between them. You're one of the best erotic romance writers I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace! Yes, we make our own luck by constantly submitting to be in the right place at the right time. Thank you very much for the kind compliment. It means a lot coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Terri! So sorry to hear about that cover. I know it's hard when you've worked to produce a great story and the cover doesn't reflect that. Thank goodness SB works so hard to produce great covers for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Shana! I'm sure they'll let you borrow Han. ;} Lovely to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cover! Must be the combination of the brownish vest and the hair that makes one think of Han Solo (and we are all showing our age by making that comparison, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cover! Must be the combination of the brownish vest and the hair that makes one think of Han Solo (and we are all showing our age by making that comparison, lol)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment