Skip to main content

Getting Lucky

by Joanne Kennedy
When I was a kid, my sister and I used to hunt for four-leafed clovers in the grass. These elusive little good-luck charms never seemed to turn up when you were looking for them--but when you least expected it, you'd stumble across one by accident.
That's how luck works. By definition, it's a happy accident of fate, and I always seem to stumble into good fortune when I least expect it.
And while hard work, perseverence, and focus help determine our lives, it's often luck that has the most influence in leading us to our destiny.
Here are four strokes of good luck that led me to the here and now:
Finding my Place:
I moved out West in 1992. At the time, I thought I was running away from home. In reality, I was running to home--to the place where I belonged, and the place that has defined me ever since.
Finding my Heart:
I met my husband by chance. I was running a bookstore; he was a customer. We definitely weren't looking for love, but after a long friendship we decided we belonged together. We were right!
Finding my calling:
I'd wanted to be a writer all my life, but it wasn't until the previous two strokes of luck
fell into place that I discovered what I was meant to do. I combined my love of the West with my good luck in love to write contemporary Western romances. Now I'm looking forward to the release of my fifth book, Cowboy Crazy, in June.
I was lucky to find Sourcebooks, too, and my wonderful agent and editor. But most of all I'm lucky to be living a life filled with love, doing what I was meant to do in a place where I belong.
What strokes of luck led you to where you are today? I'll keep the good luck going by picking one commenter to win a copy of Tall, Dark and Cowboy today - just answer the question and I'll post the winner in the comments on Friday.

Comments

  1. Lovely post, Joanne! It's so beautiful where you live...what a brave move on your part...but the rewards were fabulous!

    Isn't it odd that fate, destiny, and luck often conspire to play such an important part in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've been really lucky with friends. I always seem to meet the right person at the right time. I have friends who build me up and are there for me in the ways I need most. Funny how you often think you're alone in your struggles, when there's usually someone else going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Joanne! You took such a chance and made it right, which reminds me of a true life spunky heroine! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Joanne. It isn't ALL about hard work, perseverance, and determination. There are a ton of hard-working, persevering, determined people whose situations we would not envy.

    I was lucky to be born into a family that valued education, to parents who are still each others' best friend, in a time and society when women are a force to be reckoned with, into a reasonably healthy body.... the list is endless, once you start making it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post...isn't it wonderful to get to live where your soul is at peace?!
    Looking back over my life there are many wonderful times when Momma Luck shoved me into just the right path at just the right moment.
    For instance in 2008 I attended the RWA Conference in Dallas for just one night because I was up for an award. An author that I'd never met in person asked if we could have breakfast together and I agreed...she was so worried about her pitch to Sourcebooks that that's what we talked about the whole time. She was so excited about SB that the next week I pitched Lucky in Love (title fits, huh?) to Deb and the rest is history. Luck? Oh, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luck has come up to save me more than once in my life. Some may look at my life and say it is full of hardships and strife but I always look at the silver lining that somehow seems to find it's way in there. When I was 16 our house burnt down leaving us with only the clothes on our backs BUT and it was a BIG BUT, the day it happened I was home sick with my diabetes and somehow my brother missed the bus. He ended up driving me to the hospital (he was 13) saving my life because the hot water heater that was next to my bedroom blew up they think within 15 minutes of our departure. This is Luck or Fate or whatever you want to call it. I call it LUCK.
    Some do not believe in lubk but as you have showed with your own life and many more with their's it's out there just waiting to pop up at the most unexpected moment. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CH, I wasn't brave - I was running away! Really - I just got lucky:)
    But it is amazing what a huge part luck plays in our lives. The best things that happened to me happened strictly by chance.

    Shana, I feel lucky in friendship, too. I don't know what I'd do without the support of my loyal friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry, I do try to make my heroines the kind of women who step into the unknown pretty readily. But mine don't have to deal with wolves, so they're not as brave as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, you're right. It makes me angry when people blame the poor or the unfortunate for their circumstances and say they made "bad choices." Sometimes there are no good choices to make. I just feel lucky that I landed where I did in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, I never heard that story before! Funny how things work. You also got lucky when you picked your pen pal in the military, didn't you?!?!? And the rest is history...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Patsy, that is an amazing story of luck! And courage on the part of your brother, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was lucky that my hubby substituted where I worked. It took awhile for us to get to know each other...but fortunately we did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the time I thought it was the worst luck ever but in hindsight it was great for me. When I first decided to move to Seattle I had chosen an apartment but it fell through about 10 days before I was supposed to move in.

    I had to scramble to find another place. I ended up renting a guest house for the same price and in a much better neighborhood. Instead of a cramped apartment I have my own place with a garage and yard.

    I was very upset when I lost that apartment but I'm so glad I did.

    geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore this post! I agree with you. I'm lucky for many reasons but if I had to pick just one....it would be having the parents I have. Having such a solid, safe, loving environment as a child gave me the courage and confidence to chase my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice post. I think I'm lucky to have parents that support me.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think luck is spmething that we have to fight for:). My luck is to have a mother who loves me all the way I am, arethazhenATrocketmailDOTCOM

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful stories, Joanne! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment