Skip to main content

Things That Made Me Smile in 2011

from Mia Marlowe...

Oh, there were so many things! 2011 was a terrific year on a personal note because I'm now 3 years cancer free and counting. After 5 years, I get to use that other "C" word--CURE! The old saying: "If you have your health, you have everything" is so very true.

Professionally, 2011 saw 4 new releases from me: TOUCH OF A THIEF, IMPROPER GENTLEMEN, A DUKE FOR ALL SEASONS and MY LADY BELOW STAIRS. I've been so blessed.

And 2012 is looking rosy with the release of SIN OF THE HIGHLANDER to kick things off. I'm excited to see what the new year brings. And I'm excited to bring you my next blog guest--Shona Husk. She's an Aussie with a brand new book to share with us!
_________________________________ 


Shona Husk: It’s a new year so I thought I’d look back at the things that made me smile in 2011.

The big one was my first print book hitting the shelves (if you in Australia, like me, THE GOBLIN KING was released yesterday).

Buying the plane tickets to the US so I can go to the RT convention in April and take the kids to Disneyland.

Surviving a management change at work and successfully remaining part-time.

A long running road construction project finally finishing and looking great. While the design part which is my job was done months ago, I still had to go to construction meetings and make a few tweaks as it progressed.

Cover art. Is there anything better than seeing new cover art for the first time?

Getting my first RT Top Pick with DARK VOW.

Discovering new authors and reading old favorites. I didn’t read as much as I usually would (something to do with deadlines) but I still found plenty of new authors to swell my TBR pile to towering proportions.

New TV shows, okay we get everything slower than the US so I’m still hanging out for the second half of season 1 of Terra Nova (channel 10 I’m looking at you for taking a summer break). I’ve heard good things about Once Upon A Time and Grimm, so fingers crossed we get them in Australia soon.

My kids getting medals for their cheerleading performances.

Watching Fright Night 3D. David Tennant, vampire hunter—do I need to explain?

Meeting Eskimo Joe, one of my favourite bands…and telling them I listened to their music while writing THE GOBLN KING (they signed a copy of the book—no you can’t have it its mine!)
Then realising afterwards I’m so uncool.

What made you smile in 2011?
_____________________________
Mia: Thanks, Shona. Your post made me smile in 2012. And you and your sister look pretty cool to me!

Shona has graciously offered a copy of her totally hot looking THE GOBLIN KING to one lucky commenter, so be sure to share what made you smile in 2011. I'll also be giving away winner's choice from my backlist named above! 

And while you're in a winning mood, be sure to click through to my website contest where the Grand Prize is a new KINDLE. Someone's going to win it. Why not you?

Comments

  1. Lots of things made me smile in 2011 but I'm drawing a blank for a specific one, I guess I would have to say taking a late vacation, the last two weeks of the year off was really nice. I got to celebrate at the company Holiday party and then go home and then slept late every day for two weeks straight. It was tough going back to work today but at the same time it was nice to see some of my coworkers too.

    I already have a copy of Shona's book - The Goblin King - so no need to enter me for that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled alot in 2011. My husband and son made me smile but each time I walked into Barnes and Noble and came back out quite a few dollars poorer would just brighten my day and keep me smiling for hours and hours!!!!! Winning a copy of The Goblin King would also put a huge smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for vaca, Maria. We took a couple of fun weekend trips this year--one to NYC to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and another to Brainerd, MN to see family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherthib--I'm with you. A story well told is worth smiling about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, vacations always make me happy. I’m counting down until April :) I hope reading The Goblin King makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mia, I love Phantom of the Opera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My two girls, (4 & 6 years old) made me smile. There's not a day that goes by that I'm not surprised what comes out of their mouths. The 6 year old told me today that she was writing a book. When I asked her what it was about, she told me "You'll have to read it to find out."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's awesome you met one of your favorite bands. I know I would be all smiles if I did. I would also be extra nervous as I'm pretty shy in person :) Overall 2011 was a good year and now I'm looking forward to better year in 2012. My family is the reason for my smiles all the time :)

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on 3 years cancer free! Reading your post made me smile as this kind of new always makes my day. Especially considering the thing that made me smile the biggest in 2011 was my husband getting a clean bill of health making him 10 yrs cancer free.

    Congratulations and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Refhater, kids bring a lot of smiles. 4 and 6 are such fun ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ChrisS, congratulations on your husband being cancer free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi all I smile when my mother feels happy. Just feel like I am the best daughter in the world. Try to do anything to make my mum happy and smile. She's happy I am happy. Aretha zhen, aretha_zhen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Na, I was nervous :).
    I think it’s important to look back at the good stuff instead of dwelling on the bad. I hope 2012 turns out to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter. She says the funniest things. :)

    I read The Goblin King and really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Going to my son's AF navigator training graduation in Pensacola!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What made me smile in 2011 was flying to California for Halloween and my birthday and getting to see my sisters, they're kids and grandkids, and one of my very oldest friends.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm proud to say lots of things have made me smile in 2011, but probably none more so than my sister telling me I'm going to be an aunt (again):) His birth day is this Valentine's Day!

    yadkny@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I discovered The Book Depository which has got to be The Best online bookstore ever! I have lots of problems finding books I like where I live (pathetic bookshops!) & to discover TBD that offers free shipping just had me over the moon.

    I smiled (& melted) when a friend told me "I trust you". I smiled (grinned and beamed!) when I won a book giveaway.

    May we all have lots of reasons to smile this year too.

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband travels much for his work. Last year their was considerably more time at home and while that meant that income was less, we as a family loved having him so much with us to lean on and to laugh with.

    little lamb lst at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats Mia, on being cured! I am very happy for you.

    Shona, the Goblin King is on my wishlist, love that cover and I have read some great reviews about it lately.

    I am 40, and recently my boyfriend moved in with me. He works evenings/nights, and is gone by the time I get home but it really makes me smile when I see he has done the dishes, the kitchen is all nice and clean and I can start cooking. He does come home for coffee / dinner during the evening. It is really nice having someone share work with you, but of course, a man in the house also means a lot of extra work ;)

    I smile when I read a good book, or a great book. I smile when I see someone posting a comment on my blog. Lots of little things make me smile.

    auriansbooks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Unfortunately was 2011 one of the worst years in my life, so I didn't have many things to smile. The only thing was my foster dog, who was able to make me smile

    ReplyDelete
  22. i think this is the best year for me and i'm still praying to God (i called God of 4 faces)for the luck that he give to me : good health, got many friend especially from facebook, knowing a fabolous and kind author and the last is won so many book from author and blog ;)

    i'm not smile only but even dancing in my room ;)

    eli_y83@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness - the one thing that made me smile SO big was the day that my son married the girl of his dreams...and mine! My new daughter-in-law is a sweetheart! I don't have any daughters, and she has become the daughter of my heart. I adore her! She makes him SO happy, and I now have a young lady to spend special things with!

    Thank you so much for this wonderful giveaway opportunity! I've read the prequel for this book, so I can't hardly wait to read this book!!

    Happy New Year!

    Gena Robertson
    robertsongena@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment