Skip to main content

Beginnings and Endings

By Cheryl Brooks

Tarq smelled her before he ever laid eyes on her--a glorious, delectable aroma that curled through his head and shot straight into his bloodstream. Closing his eyes, he inhaled deeply as the effect of her fragrance hit him with the force of a pulse blast, obliterating every thought with the instantaneous ecstasy of an erection so hard it made his head swim.
He glanced away from his menu, taking in the shape of her legs out of the corner of his eye--what he could see of them, that is. Her baggy trousers and apron concealed everything about her legs except the fact that she had two of them.
"Hi, my name is Lucy, and I'll be your server," she said. "Do you already know what you'd like, or do you need more time?
Tarq smiled to himself as he shook his head. No, he didn't need more time. He knew exactly what he wanted. "You," he replied. "I'd like a full order of you."    
Those are the opening paragraphs of my upcoming release, The Cat Star Chronicles: Stud, which is due out in February. When I wrote those lines, I knew Lucy and Tarq would be soon embark on an adventure, but I wasn't entirely sure where it would take them. This was simply the image I had in my head when I first began developing the story.

It's funny how a single mental picture can put me right where I need to be to begin a new project. It doesn't always happen that way, though. Sometimes the process is painfully slow, requiring a great deal of thought. I recently finished writing book nine of the series, Wildcat, and sent it off to beta readers and my agent for their critique. That done, I began revising an early manuscript, hoping to link it together with two other books to create a series, but the idea for something new eluded me.

Then one morning, I woke up with a scene in my mind that I have since discussed with my writer friends and my DH, and I think I've come up with a decent proposal for a new paranormal series. What I'll do with it remains unknown at this point, but the idea is there. I've even jotted down a few notes.

Now all I have to do is start writing it. LOL! New beginnings...doncha just love 'em?

Comments

  1. Great excerpt! The actual beginning isn't too bad for me, because that's where my storyline normally originates, it's the rest that's hard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the excerpt, Cheryl! Fun! I'm with Cheryl. Sometimes I have it right away, sometimes I have to keep working on it until it's the right beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way I know to be certain to wake up with new ideas, is to be elbow deep in trying to write the last third of a book that's playing hard to get. Oh, the tempting lures, the shiny objects, the brilliant scenes leading to nowhere... What we do is hard!

    Loved the opening scene, though, and hope the new series takes off like a rocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love starting a new book! I'm sure you're very excited to begin. And I love the opening to this one. It's one of those openings that makes me go, what? and keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tracey! It's that way for me sometimes. I have that initial idea, but have no clue where it will lead until I start writing. But once I get started, that discovery is what makes writing so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Terry! I've known authors who've had editors tell them to scrap the first three chapters in order to get to the perfect opening. LOL! I think I'm one of them....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the idea, Shana! Unfortunately, once I get that first thought, it's hard to keep from plunging ahead. I have to keep reminding myself that it's much easier to let the story gel a bit before I begin. That way I don't have to rewrite as much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome beginning. And I love the name Tarq. It's so opposite from her name, Lucy, that one wonders by name alone if a relationship is even possible. Can't wait to see the new series in print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, this is a hot beginning! I usually don't have trouble with the opening, it's usually by chapter three when I struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Carolyn! Tarq and Lucy are quite different on the surface, but deep down, they both want the same thing. It's simply a matter of making them realize it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Ann! My problem is that I want to jump on ahead to chapter four. Can't do that, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a great beginning to me. If the stories just flowed, like water with out rocks in the way to redirect. Where's the fun in that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! And you're right. it's never easy, which is probably a good thing!

      Delete
  13. I'm starting a new series too! Best of luck with it - your excerpt was great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really thought you did a nice job with this book, making your hero vulnerable despite his outward assets and apparent success. Congrats on a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment