Skip to main content

Christmas in Australia

I’m writing this before Christmas so by the time you read this the presents will have been opened, lunch cooked and a few glasses of wine drunk—the family gathering is at my house this year so I will be needing a chilled glass of SSB before the day is out.

I live in Western Australia so Christmas is probably going to be about 40 degrees Centigrade, which google tells me is 104 Fahrenheit. I’m wilting just thinking about it. Plus with my fair skin I burn in about 10 mins.

While there will be turkey on the table, it won’t be served with hot sides, but there’ll be plenty of salads and some prawns on the BBQ. Because some members of my family won’t eat dried fruit I don’t do a Christmas pudding; I’ll be doing raspberry and lemon cheesecake, and spice shortbread instead.

I’m sure by the time this posts we’ll have finished the leftovers :).

The best part of Christmas in Australia is that the school holidays last for 7 weeks and more time at home with the kids and less time in the office is always a good thing.  

May your holiday be filled with good books and good friends!

Comments

  1. The heat doesn't sound like fun, Shona! Not for Christmas. We were ranging in the 110 mark for way too long with no relief in sight, so I feel for you! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the prawns hot and the cheesecake cold...I'm on my way and I don't mind leftovers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... Never thought about celebrating Christmas with temps that high. It snowed here yesterday, but today is a nice, sunny 31 degrees. I do believe I prefer that over 104! But if you ask me again in a few weeks, I'm sure I'll have changed my mind. After New Year's Day, I'm ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shona, I'm right behind Carolyn!! I swear I can eat my body weight in prawns.

    It's been an unusually warm winter in MN so far - there's no snow, and highs have been above freezing (32' F.) almost every day for weeks. It's...very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prawns were delicious, but the scallops wrapped in bacon were awesome too (neither lasted the day). One day I am going to have a Christmas filled with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had some great food to counter the heat. I'd love to have a white Christmas too, but so far nothing but rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a hot Christmas. I'm in Florida, and we're having nice warm weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NEED that cheesecake recipe, girlfriend. And a seven week holiday isn't a bad thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...I have to admit that down in Los Angeles we had 76 F but in the high desert where I live we get down to the low 40's, high 30's lately. Don't have snow but cool enough to snuggle (-: Happy Holidays, now I am going to have to look for some seafood!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment