Skip to main content

All I want for Christmas

It was difficult to come up with an answer this year when I was asked what I wanted for Christmas. I really do have everything I need. But Christmas is about getting something you want, not need, right? Even then, I couldn't think of anything I wanted that someone else could give me. NY Times bestseller status? Sure! I'd love that. *sigh* I'm working on it.

So, I watched a few commericals to see if I could come up with some ideas. A Lexus? No thanks. I love my 10 year-old convertible and would rather drive it into the ground. Kay Jewlers is having a sale. I make jewelry and have more than I'll ever wear.

Then I saw a commercial for Garmin...a GPS. I have one of those, but it's been taken over by mean pixies and has decided to play tricks on me. One day I was trying to get to our new RWA meeting place. For some reason, it started a few miles ahead of where I was. It must have heard me muttering that I knew how to get out of my own damn neighborhood. Still, I was able to follow it until I got down to the nitty gritty of right here and left there...and it arrived at my final destination about fifteen minutes before I did. Fortunately I happened to see the address as I almost drove past it.

Then there was the time it told me to take route 111 to route 93, but I chose to take route 495 knowing the traffic would be less hectic there. Unfortunately, my GPS didn't recalulate and just kept going as if I had listened to its directions. Perhaps it was angry because I didn't...Some people swear their GPS's lie.

So, Santa--if you're listening, I'd like to play a trick on those rotten pixies and toss them in the trash. All I want for Christmas is a GPS that knows where I am, where I'm going, and wants to get me there.

Any of you have GPS stories?

Comments

  1. Great post, Ash. Got to run to work, but had to say Yes! We used the GPS in Scotland to locate a castle we were having trouble finding. We ended up at the farm buildings probably as part of the estate, drove up the little narrow dirt road, back onto the narrow paved road and back onto the little dirt road, while a Scotsman finally came out to see what in the world we were doing. By then, we had gotten back on the paved road, and drove what seemed a 100 miles to another location, and there was the castle. Front entrance. LOL But the GPS kept telling us we were at the castle when we were at the farm buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, considering you were with Dalton Diaz and I on one of our adventures, I don't think I have go any further with the trauma, AKA (we went shopping today)..

    Every time DD and I spend some quality time with her GPS, we know to add at least 2 hours and a full tank of gas to our trip..

    Your a very brave woman, Ash!! Remember, Santa has a sense of humor.. And he is usually naughty.

    Love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,
    What tipped you off that your GPS might be lying? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Sherry! Thanks for showing up. I knew you would. Heh heh.

    Yes, the Dalton driving experience is one for the books...hey! I will definitely have to base a scene on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stupid GPS!!! You just can't trust 'em. We've named ours Mabel. Mabel got cussed out royally when we were driving to Romanticon this year. She just went wacko in Akron and was totally useless. And Romanticon is one event you don't want to get lost for a minute. You might be missing out on some of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain, Margie.
    Romanticon is really not to be missed if at all possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My GPS, which we call Mad Maddie, doesn't seem to always know where we want to go. One the she sent me ten miles in the opposite direction and I was late for lunch. Another time she got the streets mixed up. There are days I want to toss her out the window. Her biggest redeeming feature is no matter where I am she can always tell me to "Go home"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Des. It's funny that folks have names for their GPS's. I haven't named mine. Perhaps it would become too human and I couldn't yell at it anymore. The one I have presently might think it's name is ass-hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My GPS goes a little haywire once in a while. Once in a shile it confuses Cheyenne with Denver, and trust me there's a big difference! But at least it has a better sense of direction than I do. I swear, I could get lost in the driveway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. I have the same sense of direction...or nonsense of direction, Joanne. But Cheyenne and Denver? They aren't even in the same state!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hell no I don't have a GPS :)

    Why? Because I was introduced to a couple of ladies with funny/horror stories about their GPS's.

    (Hi DD & Sherry)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a GPS, but I do use Google Maps on my iPhone. Every now and then, just to keep me on my toes, it sends me in a circle a few times before I head in the right direction LOL.

    I mean, you have to stay awake when you're driving right? Nothing like driving in circles to get your adrenaline pumping LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a GPS. I use my phone when I get lost, and it's worked pretty well. But it is hard to drive and hold the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, Mai! I think I know those two ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, Mags. We have an Aussie voice programmed into ours.

    At least you'd understand her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first time we used my dad's GPS, we were on our way to Chicago. It decided we needed a scenic route right through a really rundown part of town... and the entrance ramp it lead is to was closed. Everytime I hear the GPS utter the words "recalculating" I want to rip my hair out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I drove from Chicago to Seattle 5 weeks ago. If I hear "recalculating" ever again I will SCREAM. I get lost easily so I needed a GPS but I think my GPS needed a GPS during that trip. It got me lost fairly often. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your GPS stories, everyone! I think we all need new ones for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ashlyn - My name is Lisa and I do digital work for OnStar. I stumbled across your blog and read about your frustrating experience with your GPS. Didn't know if you heard but there's a new product from OnStar called the FMV mirror that allows you to get OnStar service on any vehicle. We heard from those who have it that the Navigation feature is a favorite. Might be something you could replace your wonderful GPS with ;) You can check it out here if you want! http://www.facebook.com/onstar?sk=app_113254625414530

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, LisaJean,

    I think my husband already ordered something. At least lots of packages have been coming to him from Fed-Ex and UPS recently.

    If not, I'll mention the On-Star thingy. It sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment