By Robin Kaye
One of the things I struggle with as a writer is showing the moment when my hero and heroine realize they have fallen into the huge abyss that is love.
Still, there are signs a person has fallen head-over-hiking boots in love. My heroes tend to be faster out of the blocks than my heroines when it comes to this. Maybe it’s because I have a tendency to write difficult women with issues and no real need for a man. They are strong, independent, and some say clueless when it comes to love. Or maybe it’s because deep down inside I like the idea of a man chasing a woman, wanting her so badly, he’s willing to do just about anything to win her heart. Sigh…yeah, that’s probably it.
So here is a Top Ten list for heroines:
You know you’re in love when…
10. You’re together and you automatically walk to the passenger’s side of the car instead of the driver’s side—even when it’s your car. Let’s face it, guys like to drive and a woman has no need to prove to her significant other that she’s more than capable of navigating the mean streets of Brooklyn or Boise.
9. You go to the liquor/grocery store and buy his favorite beer and snacks without thinking twice—though you might wonder how he drinks beer so thick you can stand a spoon in it and ponder his love of beef jerky.
8. You stop sleeping in the middle of the bed, unless you’re trying to get closer to him.
7. He comes over and you realize you don’t have a stitch of make-up on, or worse yet, haven’t taken yesterday’s makeup off, and you’re wearing an I’m-too-bloated-for-regular-clothes-scary outfit—sweatpants he left at your place and a t-shirt you stole because it smelled like him—and you don’t run screaming into your room to shower and change.
6. You sit through a movie you sooo don’t want to watch knowing the next movie night he’ll sit through a three-hanky romance and not complain about mascara stains on his new shirt.
5. You notice a lot of his hair on the drain in the shower and you warn him he’s going bald so ten years from now, it won’t come as a shock.
4. You find yourself watching the Discovery Channel’s special about the Building of the Hoover Dam for the sixth time without complaining or mentioning that watching it makes sleeping pills unnecessary.
3. You find yourself sharing your food at restaurants—well except for the chocolate desserts—and even though he’s allergic he orders one knowing you can’t decide between Death by Chocolate Cake and the Chocolate Covered Cannolli.
2. You look around your empty house or apartment and wonder why it feels weird. You try to figure out what’s missing only to realize it’s him.
Number one: You know you’re in love when…
You don’t kill him in his sleep after you realize too late he’s left the seat up. Again.
Yup, that’s when you know you know you’ve fallen in love… right after you realize you’ve also fallen in the toilet. Ain’t love grand?