Skip to main content

Breaking In...Again

When people ask me to share my call story, I'm tempted to ask "Which one?" You see, I've had three different pen names since my initial debut in 2006. I know. It's a weird situation, but it's a fact of publishing life. If all the writers who have more than one pseudonymn turned purple tomorrow, there would be lots of purple authors out there.

I started writing dark, angsty viking romances for Leisure Books with the fabulous Leah Hultenschmidt as my editor. I wrote three books as Diana Groe, then asked Leah if it was ok for me to try adding a bit of humor to the 2nd book in a two book contract. She gave me the green light, but when I turned in my manuscript, she said it was so different from my previous stories, I was likely to give my readers whiplash.





Emily Bryan was born. Under this light-hearted alter-ego, I wrote 5 stories. Things were rolling along. My work was winning awards and was translated into 7 different languages.


But change is the one constant in publishing and another came my way when my agent sold a proposal of mine to Kensington. My new editor, the lovely and talented Alicia Condon, loved the premise of my Touch of Seduction series, but since these new stories had a touch of paranormal in them, she asked that I take a new pen name.




I became Mia Marlowe. Trust me, I'm a firm believer that the third time's the charm. When I go to a signing, I'm always afraid of having a "Whoopie Goldberg Moment" (Remember in Ghost when she had to admit "I signed the wrong name!")


Now I'm balancing between paranormal and historical in my adventurous sexy stories and loving the freedom it gives my storylines. But wait! My multliple call story isn't quite done.





I'm also part of a collaboration with NY Times Bestseller Connie Mason! We're bringing you two new books in 2012. Things have come full circle for me and I'm working with Leah Hultenschmidt again on Sins of the Highlander (Jan 2012) and (would you believe it?) another viking romance called Lord of Fire and Ice (August 2012). I'm so excited about this opportunity to write with a romance legend like Connie Mason. We've had a wonderful time with our alpha heroes and their sexy exploits.



So the point of this post is that calls to new opportunities and adventures come to us all multiple times. I'm so thankful for each one of mine. I'd love to hear about when a chance to do something new came to YOU! Won't you tell me YOUR Call story?




Connect with Mia Marlowe on Twitter and Facebook! Enter her contest at MiaMarlowe.com.





Comments

  1. Woohoo, Mia, threes the charm! Congratulations for having a great imagination and sharing it with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia,is there anything you're NOT capable of writing? What an impressive track record, and I have the sense you're just getting started. Best of luck with ALL your writing ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a track record! I can see where you'd have trouble keeping your name straight but ain't it wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I know your story, oh wonderful critique partner of mine, I'm still amazed. You had to transition between three pen names, and you did it so amazingly well!

    I don't think you lost any of your Emily Bryan fans when you became Mia Marlowe. Kudos! That's a feat to celebrate. And I can't wait until readers get a chance to read Mia Marlowe! They'll absolutely love her and even more fans will come your way!

    Your career is in high gear and just getting better my dear friend. I couldn't be happier for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mia, I'd say you have one fabulous life going for you! Clearly you are blessed. I have written under 3different names, too, but have been Amelia Grey for the past 11 books so I think I'm through with the name changes.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Terry. Sometimes, an author has to reinvent herself. For someone who makes stuff up for a living how hard can it be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't write many things, Grace. For example, I can't bring myself to try vampires or shapeshifters because they don't move me. My lack of passion would shout through my prose, I'm afraid.

    Now, I'll never say never. If someday a character steps from my subconscious who just happens to lack a reflection or occasionally bays at the moon, and he has a compelling story to tell, I suspect I'll find I'm willing to give him a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn--Nametags are very helpful. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashlyn--When I was in NY with you a couple weeks ago, a reader came up to me after the workshop panel I participated in, and started telling me about what she loved about my Diana Groe books. I'm so thankful for all my readers.

    (And for you too, my dear crit partner!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay Amelia! Another purple author! Wonder how many more out there are willing to admit to it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's amazing Mia - you're not just one successful author, but three. I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Joanne, since you asked-- I have an anthology coming out in a few days--IMPROPER GENTLEMEN with Diane Whiteside and Maggie Robinson. It's a collection of three "bad boy" stories and was terrific fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S.
    I started off writing as Abby Gray for Kensington. It was going to be my "secret vice" but alas I told my sister in my excitement when I sold two books in one day and in her excitement she put it in two local newspapers. Cat was out of the bag. When I changed publishers I decided to write under my very own name. Saves confusion! I admire you folks who can write under multi names and still answer when Husband yells that supper is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! As someone with a couple of pen names myself, I know how all that goes. My call story is later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carolyn and Shana--You know how at RWA Nationals the name badges come with ribbons of different colors to indicate first sales or workshop speakers? I think next year for RWA nationals we should push for a purple ribbon to mark the bearer as an author with multiple pen names. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to laugh at the "I signed the wrong name" line. I almost did it the other day. I started to sign Demons Prefer Blondes with my more steamier pen name (Arianna Skye). Luckily I caught it and was able to write Ayers instead of Arianna and stick the Sidney in front of it. Then I pulled out Arianna's book to sign and I started to sign Sidney's name. Again, I caught it in time. Doh!

    Then there's the time I accidentally signed my real name in a book...

    I have a hard time with two pen names. I don't even want to try it with three of them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. It happens to the best of us, Sidney!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops! Got my Google Accounts mixed up. In a variation on the "Whoopie" theme, "I signed in on the wrong name."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mia, thanks for sharing your story. I hope you have "Mia" for many years to come. Do you still use your other two pen names? Or have they gone on a long vacation?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment