Skip to main content

Fascinating Women...Good & Bad by C.H. Admirand

There are women in my life who have made a difference...so from my point of view...they were fascinating. Growing up I was lucky enough to live next door to my great aunt and uncle, and two doors down from my grandparents. What's not to love about that?

The door was always open at both houses. My great aunt always had cookies in the cookie jar she kept right by the back door and on hot summer nights, she would read poems and stories to us on their screen porch. One of my favorites to this day was hearing The Owl and the Pussycat. ;) My great uncle loved to barbeque and at the drop of a hat would pull out his grill and cook up hot dogs and hamburgers. He'd whistle early in the morning, and I remember waking up to the sound and being too young to tie my red plaid sneakers, but I'd slip them on and go outside before anyone else was up. He'd tie my sneakers and we'd start the day hand-in-hand.

My grandmother was a cheese and crackers grandma. She baked ice box cookies and a fabulous Thanksgiving turkey, but what I remember most was going up after school and helping to set her dinner table and then sitting down to watch the Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas Show and then the 4:30 Movie or the Million Dollar Movie! She'd always have cheese and crackers and gingerale for the kids...she preferred Canadian Club with hers. ;)


My mom passed on the secret to her flaky pie crust, her love of baking, gardening, drawing, and family. My dad passed on his love of reading and song. I have been blessed in my life and my husband and I have passed on bits and pieces of the gifts we received as children. Our kids are creative, artistically, musically and in the kitchen, know their way around a garden, can work with their hands, and aren't afraid to get dirty doing it. There are other relatives and friends who have touched my life along the way. My thanks to all who have made a difference. 

Then there are the special authors that I grew up reading and have created characters that have stayed with me for years. If I had to pick the top five, they would be: Carolyn Keene, Phyllis A. Whitney, Victoria Holt, Nora Roberts, and Julie Garwood. 
 
 
 
Thank you to all of these fascinating women who have made a difference in my life!




Comments

  1. CH, great post! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... I love the part about your great-uncle, the morning whistle, the plaid sneakers, and most of all starting the morning hand-in-hand. All those details conjure up such a cute picture. You must have brightened his old age so much!
    I loved "The Owl and the Pussycat" too, and can probably still recite most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Terry;)

    Joanne, he was my grandfather's older brother so it was like having two grandfathers on the same block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post CH. What a great childhood, and wonderful memories. Thanks so much for sharing. It made me stop and think about childhood memories of my own. I remember when my brother and I came home from school, mom always had a snack waiting. Usually sliced apples. I still connect those sliced apples with coming home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are such great memories. They make me wish I lived closer to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita - some childhood memories are the best! Sliced apples sounds like a great snack coming home from school. Memories are a happy place you can visit anytime, no matter where you might be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shana, sometimes having family close is a blessing and a curse! LOL. I'll bet you have wonderful friends and neighbors nearby that are like family;) Treasure them, too;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic post! Very nice legacies your family has passed on. I do remember reading Carolyn Keene and Phyliss A Whitney when I was a much younger person but didn't read the others till I got much older:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy Drew! Wowza! Does THAT ever bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, CH! There's nothing quite like the women who touch our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie Garwood is one of my favs as well! Thx for sharing the rest!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment