Skip to main content

An Abundance of Boys

Hey there everyone! My name is Sara Taney Humphreys and I am a brand new author with Sourcebooks Casablanca. I'm psyched to be posting here with all the Casablanca ladies. There are an abundance of great writers and I'm proud to be included.

When I saw that this month's theme was "Abundance", it was easy to choose my topic. Quite simply, I have an abundance of boys. I have four boys. I am also married....so really...I have five boys.

Ian is 15. I know that people complain about teenagers but so far this one is pretty tolerable. I get the occasional eye roll and yeah-sure-Mom-whatever-you-don't-know anything- look but generally he's a great kid. He's been an insulin dependent diabetic since he was 2 years old, so he's had to be pretty responsible from the time he was very small.



Leo is 12. The kid is a walking, talking episode of The History Channel or Discovery Channel--take your pick. He possesses a wealth of knowledge but has no filter. Remember Estelle Getty's character in "Golden Girls"? Ummmm...yeah. He is also a giant cuddly guy who still sleeps with his bunny. (Don't judge.)

Our twins William and Jack are 9. Jackson is the artistic goofball who could charm an ant of his pants. William is my athlete and embodies the sensitive-tough guy. (He will have NO trouble getting girls).

The biggest boy is 41. I married my college sweetheart. We just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this weekend. He works his butt off and takes great care of our family. However, since he is a man, he seems incapable of finding the laundry basket. He leaves a trail to the basket and litters clothing around it...but never actually gets anything in it.

Even the dogs are male. Cooper is a blond cocker spaniel. He's as blond as it gets. Dumb as dirt but sweet. Patch is his son--a beagle/cocker spaniel mix. He's all beagle. Smart as a whip but barks at everything. I worry that the neighbors are plotting to do him in.

Finally, we have the squawking cockateil. Spike. That bird only squawks when I get a phone call. Yes, you guessed it...also a boy.

Let's face it ladies. I'm completely outnumbered. The abundance of boys leads to an abundance of laundry, homework, dishes, food shopping trips, beds to make, shoes to trip over....the list goes on and you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. My house is very loud and often resembles organized chaos and I love it because more than anything there's an abundance of love.

I think I'll write a memoir after they all get through puberty. The title will be, "An Island of Estrogen in a Sea of Testosterone: My Life Among Men and Boys".

Book 1 in my paranormal romance series will be released with SB in Fall 2011. The Amoveo Series is about a secret society of shape shifters who are struggling to find their mates and save their species from the brink of extinction.

I hope you'll stop on by my website to find out more and get updates as things progress. You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter and my blog.

Comments

  1. LOL, Sara! We had the opposite in our family--all girls. My dad didn't mind--except we won all the arguments because we stuck together. Had to. He was definitely an alpha male. We had all female dogs too. :) Loved your post! And welcome to Casababes!! We love having you with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Terry :) You ladies have been so welcoming and supportive from the moment I came on the scene. I get my girl fix with the Casababes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sara.
    LOL
    That sounds like my household.
    Even though we are equally balanced(we have a daughter and a son) there are still too many shoes to trip over, endless piles of washing, and way too much ironing to take care of. Families! You've got to love 'em, or you'll crawl into that pile of washing and perhaps never want to pop your head up again. LOL
    Good luck with series xxx I'm sure it'll be a bestseller :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have all those great kids!

    I had a wonderful time during my daughter's teen years. She was a good kid and easy-peasy most of the time.

    It's a shame you don't have any girls though. You'll have to adoopt a couple. (Ash ducking.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo, I'm so glad you stopped by the blog today. You are correct. Our families, regardless of how much testosterone or estrogen there is, provide us Moms with a ridiculous amount of everything! The one that really makes me nuts is laundry. Ugh! You do it...and there's always more. It NEVER ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Ash! My hubby and I actually discussed it but then we came to our senses. People always ask me if I am sad that I don't have any girls. I'm not. My theory is that God gave me all these boys so that I'd raise four really good men. :) Plus my sister and my husbands sibs have all girls. We seem to have cornered the market on the boys in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great post. In my family we balanced at one female, me and one male, my son. Even when we got cats, one female, Smokey, and one male, Zero (blame my son for the name)!

    Now that my son has moves out, it is a tad out of balance, I still have his male cat. But that's OK, he's a lovable little bit, even if he meows all night long! Argggg!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica. I love that your son named his cat Zero--it cracks me up. A male cat that meows all night? Hmmm...my hubby snores all night. Maybe it's a boy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sara. You poor thing...all that testosterone. But honestly, what a great post. It's obvious you have a wonderful family. That's just the best. Writing is great, but nothing beats family. I loved meeting you in Orlando. I'm new here too, and it's great to be part of the Sourcebooks family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine looking family you've got there, Sara!
    I don't have that many, but as the only girl in a house with three guys, I'm outnumbered, too. Fortunately, I have five cats, one dog, and three horses that are female, so I have someone around here I can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anita. Family is the very best. I adore writing and delving into the minds of different characters but the nothing beats the real characters at home. My guys are what drive me....sometimes they drive me crazy...but mostly they drive my desire to be the best I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl, you definitely can relate! I've got to take a lesson from you and get more female animals. We've got two little frogs. I have no idea what sex they are but based on the smell that comes out of that tank...I'd guess that they're boys too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. POOR Sara! But I feel you there! All my animals but one are boys! If we include animals my household is almost even. We have on the female side: Myself, my two girls, and a cat Zero Duh (it's my oldest daughter's cat so I had to add DUH into its name poor thing, lol). Yet on the male side we have my son, his indoor/outdoor cat Boy (he named him that when he was 2...), my cat Ballsy, and two dogs Casanova and Doc Iggy. But I must say that you have very lovely boys indeed!And I am SO proud of you for getting to Sourcebooks! w00t w00t you go girl! Can't wait for the first one to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nicole :) Thank you for coming by the Casababes blog. I LOVE the names of your animals. BTW...Jessica (who posted here earlier) also has a cat named Zero. Not such a kooky name apparently. Thanks for your continued support. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely family you have--and what a lovely, HAPPY post. I smiled at every sentence.

    Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mary :) It makes my day to know that I made you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my! Even the dog is a boy! :-) Welcome, and so glad you could join us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sara~

    What a lovely family! I have one boy and two girls. With the DH and the pets, the girls outnumber the boys by one--We'd been tied for years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like my dad's family. His father was determined to have a daughter, so he kept having kids until he got one. Two different wives and seven boys later, he finally had the sweet, little girl of his dreams. She was a tomboy.

    As for my own disaster area of a house? No comment.

    Congrats on the book, Sara! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shana, Thanks for the warm welcome. Yup--even the non-humans are male.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Robin :) Glad to hear you've got girl power at your place. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Olivia. Lol! If we had kept trying I definitely would keep having boys. I had fraternal twins. There's only a 25% chance of having two boys. That's why I always bey against the odds. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm really looking forward to reading your Sinners Serie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome to the blog, Sara, and thanks for introducing your family! The picture is adorable. I'll bet there's never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome Sara!

    A friend of mine has three boys, now all adults. She said she'd rather have them than boys.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you have an abundance of testosterone! LOL. What a great family picture! Welcome aboard, Sara! (and yes, I do tend to go overboard with sea-themed puns... there I did it again!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Joanne,
    You are correct. There is NEVER a dull moment. Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Linda,
    I am looking foward to the day when they're all grown up but I kind of dread it too. Every time I get a big hug...I savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Judi,
    I am surrounded by testosterone. In fact, you could say that I'm swimming in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just wanted to pop in and extend my heartfelt thanks for such a warm welcome. I look foward to blogging with this group of talented women for many blogs to come. Happy writing & reading everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Welcome Sara! My, but you are an island of estrogen. They should have at least let you have female pets to even the odds!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the warm welcome Amanda. I think I need another female in the house but I honestly can't handle one more creature. I'm tapped out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Sara! It's so great to have you here, and to meet your boys. I don't have as many, but I am the lone female in my house as well. It can be nice, sometimes. ;}

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sara, it sounds like your 12 year old would get along beautifully with my 16 year old! Welcome to the blog, from one newbie to another!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment