Skip to main content

For the times, they are (not) a-changing

By Mary Margret Daughtridge

We’ve been examining change, our likes and dislikes, our fears and hopes, our strategies for avoiding or managing it.

One of the things we have not discussed is things that are impervious to change.

Right now, I’m finishing up revisions of SEALed Forever—Garth and Bronwyn’s story. You won’t do much research on SEALs before stumbling across quotes from Sun Tzu’s Art of War, written in the sixth century BC. I found several of them so applicable to my story, I've used them as introductions to chapters.

Here are a few quotes:

All war is based on deception.

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.

Though Sun Tzu wouldn’t recognize a gun or plane, a piece of Kevlar or a radio, the principles he laid down are as fresh and applicable today as when he wrote them.

Here’s a quote most people will recognize even if they’ve never heard of Sun Tzu.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

So what are some things you’ve discovered which do not change?

Comments

  1. In terms of eternal verities, the admonition to Be Kind and Tell the Truth has given me a life time's worth of challenge. If I could just pick one or the other....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men will never ask for directions! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the most part, people don't change, no matter how much you want or hope they will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Terry. Aging is the pits, and it is inevitable. But it beats the hell out of the alternative--which is also unchangeable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The need for those two never goes away, does it--nor does the difficulty in resolving the discrepancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,

    Ah, men. Could do a whole blog on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shana,

    You're absolutely right, people rarely change in any fundamental way--and never because WE want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To all:

    I knew this group would come up with witty and wise rejoinders. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Samuel Goldwyn's Quote is as true today as it was when he said it. "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

    ReplyDelete
  10. What doesn't change?

    Death
    Taxes
    Piles of laundry on teenagers' bedroom floors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quotes, and the great twist on the change theme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I. Don't. Know.

    I swear I left my brain in my other cap this morning.

    But great quotes, Mary Margret.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin,

    Oh I like that! And what a wonderful affirmation...I think I'll post it with my other "Keep your chin up" thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judi,

    I tried to think of something about teenagers and laundry last night, but couldn't. Still, I knew if I threw out the question, someone would come up with a laundry bon mot. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Olivia. I. Understand.

    Sometimes I think aliens have rented my brain and are using it to design pumping with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad everyone liked the Sun Tzu quotes. The extent to which human nature doesn't change speaks for itself, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great stuff, MM! Hmmm, one thing that doesn't change? MM's great blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The power of love. I find it to be timeless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment