Skip to main content

Summer Songs!

Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take you to

Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama

Key Largo Montego, baby why don't we go

Ooh I wanna take you down to Kokomo,

we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow

That's where we wanna go, way down in Kokomo.
I imagine it would be a unanimous vote if asked which band throughout all time and every type of music wrote the best/most summertime songs: The Beach Boys.

I heard "Kokomo" on the radio recently and immediately thought of summer and music. A dozen songs instantly popped into my head, some by The Beach Boys, but lots of others. Yet when I did a Google search for “summertime songs” I was amazed at the lists!

I have narrowed down some of my favorites, ones that either specifically extol fun in the sun or are just so bouncy that they feel like summertime! Enjoy the videos I scrounged up and then share some of your favorite songs of summer.



Does it make you want to watch Grease again for the hundredth time? It does me! I was playing the clip last night and my daughter dashed out of her room sure I was watching Grease! She was quite disappointed.



Best Summer Songs according to numerous lists that are also my favorites—
“Summer in the City” by The Lovin’ Spoonful
“California Girls” by The beach Boys
“School’s Out” by Alice Cooper
“Heat Wave” by Martha and the Vandellas
“Under the Boardwalk” by The Drifters
“Dancing in the Streets” by Martha and the Vandellas
“Hot Fun in the Summertime” by Sly & the Family Stone
“California Sun” by the Rivieras
“Summer Breeze” by Seals & Croft



This was the best video I could find for this song originally recorded by Martha and the Vandellas. David Bowie and Mick Jagger do it well, but I have to admit I am an 80's rocker child and partial to Van Halen’s version with David Lee Roth strutting his stuff. *sigh… Alas, I could not find a decent video version. Bummer.


Every single list included Eddie Cochran's classic "Summertime Blues." Fantastic song so I can totally understand. I found a few clips of Cochran, fuzzy and in black & white, but could not resist Alan Jackson's wonderful rock-a-billy rendition.



'Cause it's summer

Summer time is here

Yes it's summer

My time of year

Yes it's summer

My time of year



Stretched out on a blanket in the sand

Kids of all ages diggin' Disneyland

Rappin' on the C.B. radio in your van

We'll give a big "ten four" to the truckin' man

Young boys playin' stick ball in the street

Fire hydrants help to beat the heat

Old man feeding pigeons in the square

Nighttime finds young lovers walking there

In Atlantic City or out in Malibu

Or any where between, I'm telling you

When you feel those balmy breezes on your face

Summer time is the best time any place
Recognize the song? It wasn’t familiar to me until I played the clip. Guesses?
.
.
.
.
.

“Summer” by War YouTube Link


Guess the summer song and artist by the lyrics---

1. Saturday in the park,
I think it was the Fourth of July 

People dancing, people laughing 

A man selling ice cream

Singing Italian songs

2. I feel alive

I feel the love

I feel the love

That's really real

I feel alive

I feel the love

I feel the love

That's really real
I’m on sunshine!

3. If everybody had an ocean

Across the U.S.A. 

Then everybody'd be surfin'

Like Californi-a 

You'd seem 'em wearing their baggies 

Huarachi sandals too

4. But I can see you, your brown skin shinin' in the sun

You got your hair combed back and your sunglasses on, baby

And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong

5. Oh when I look back now

That summer seemed to last forever

And if I had the choice 

Ya - I'd always wanna be there

Those were the best days of my life



I left a whole bunch out so I could hear from all of you. Dig deep! Share your summer songs and why they appeal to you. Link to audio/video clips so we can enjoy. And while you are thinking of that, I leave you with this old clip and dare you to not start bobbing in your seat…..

Comments

  1. I have no idea what the songs are, but I'm going to have music from Grease in my head all day long--and that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very rarely could match lyrics to artists. Still can't do it but I can almost sing the songs your partially listed! lol Great post, and by the way, I don't like summer, more of a spring/fall girl. Summer to hot and humid...*gasp* where's the air conditioning!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning you early risers! I am still up and at work - shhhhh - so will be sleeping in the hot summer sun rather than cooling in my pool as I would rather.

    Enjoy the summer music! I will post the answers to the quiz later tonight. I am confident many of you can guess them as I chose easy ones.

    And I know what you mean, Shana - I have had these songs in my head for days now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kokomo! Too bad it's actually a town in Indiana...

    Hmm... let's see now....
    1. Chicago, Saturday in the Park.
    2. No clue
    3. Surfin' USA, the Beach Boys.
    4. Boys of Summer, Don Henley
    5. Summer of 69, Brian Adams

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very fun post-unfortunately I have meetings today and can't take the time to guess the songs, but good luck to all that try. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4 out of 5 Cheryl!! Awesome :)

    It will be waiting for you when the dreary meetings are done, Danielle :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo Hoo Cheryl. Not only can she write, she knows lyrics too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hit #4 and just got distracted, because Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" is my very favorite song in the world :)

    Tawna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon, all I can say is "You Rock!"

    What a fabulous trip down Memory Lane! Do it again! Do it again!

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1, Chicago - Saturday in the Park
    2. Katrina & the Waves - Walking on Sunshine
    3. Beachboys - Surfin' USA
    4. Don Henle - Boys of Summer
    5. Bryan Adams - Summer of '69

    Great post, Sharon! Now I have to play on iTunes for the rest of the day making a summer soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow. I'm hearing some of those songs now in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post, Sharon! I enjoyed all the summer songs, and since I'm doing a journey through song for my launch party, I know how much time it took to dig these all up. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin got all of the quiz songs right! Good ear, missy :)

    Here are the answers---

    1. Chicago - Saturday in the Park
    2. Katrina & the Waves - Walking on Sunshine
    3. Beachboys - Surfin' USA
    4. Don Henley - Boys of Summer
    5. Bryan Adams - Summer of '69

    ReplyDelete
  14. There was a song that started..."There's a summer place, Where arms reach out to me, and my heart is free from all care..." Don't remember the singer's names or the actual title.

    Wonderful post---quite a few memories!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment