Skip to main content

Tall, Dark and Wolfish Launch Party!!!

You write a manuscript. You read over it a million times, polishing it with hope that someone in a position to publish it will see your genius and offer you a contract.

You get editorial notes and read it at least once more to make the requested changes. Yep, you get it and think it’s good to go.

You get copyedits and read through it one more time, looking for every crossed “t” and dotted “i”. (Don’t get me started on Scottish brogue and making sure you caught every bit of dialect. That’s a special kind of torture.)

Then you get the final version to look over one last time before it goes to print.

Then you wait, and wait, until the UPS man finally delivers your author copies to your door. I think this is the most painful wait – especially when you know your agent already has her copies and even some friends have received their pre-orders, but I digress. After you’ve terrified the UPS man with your ear shattering scream and he’s left the box on your doorstep to run back to the safety of his truck, you tear open the boxes and look down at your book, and you can’t help the grin that spreads from ear to ear. And then do you know what you do? You read the book again. It doesn’t matter how many times you’ve read it up to this point. This time it’s different.

My boss caught me flipping through pages of TALL, DARK and WOLFISH the other day. He cocked his head sideways and said, “Isn’t that your book?”

I nodded.

“Don’t you know how it ends?” he asked perplexed.

“Well, yes,” I explained. “But it looks different in book form.”

He walked away at that without saying another word, but I think he’s questioning my mental status. Well, him and the UPS man, but that’s another issue.

So, now I’ve re-read TALL, DARK and WOLFISH. And you what? I absolutely love it. There’s nothing I would change if given the chance. I’m proud of this book and I could maybe even read it again. (But I’m under deadline right now, so please don’t tell Deb Werksman or she’ll start to question my mental status too.)

Then the panic starts to set in. What if no one else likes it? You wait for reviews to come in and chew your nails as you read them. I’m happy to say, I’ve been fairly lucky in that regard so far and hope that my good fortune continues, because at this point it’s out of my control.

Comments

  1. Leave the nails alone Lydia, if this book is as good as your first, it's in the bag baby!

    I loved A Certain Wolfish Charm and I'm sure I'll love Tall, Dark and Wolfish too. I'll be on the look out for it and will pass the good word on to friends...just keep up the good work. And relax...you'll be fine...so will your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with Jessica. Take a deep breath, put your hands in your lap and "try" to relax. I have no doubt that TALL, DARK AND WOLFISH will be as good as A CERTAIN WOLFISH CHARM (and that was great). These are wonderful characters you've created making the reader want to know more and more about them. It will be great. Okay, breath again. :)

    Congratulation on the launch.
    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished A Certain Wolfish Charm this weekend - it was so great! I can't wait to dive into Tall, Dark, and Wolfish. If it is even half as good as the first, I'll be riveted :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say, the writing is the hard part, the reviews the nerve-wracking part, and the release the fun part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? You mean we AREN'T supposed to read our own books over and over again?!?! Yikes! Maybe I should question my mental status. :)

    Congrats to the both of you. Wow! What an amazing accomplishment it is. And you two having so many books coming out right in a row. Egads! Maybe you ARE crazy. LOL!

    Enjoy the ride. Party it up! One of these days I hope to get the time to read your wolfish tales. I know they must be fabulous. Have a wonderful launch day!!d

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia,
    I love it too and I'm sure your other readers will as well. Enjoy the thrill. You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I started reading it last night. I had a couple of other books ahead of it on the TBR pile, but once I finished ACWC, I couldn't stop there.

    Too bad it'll be another month before the next one is released. Oh well. I suppose I'll be able to read those other TBR books before I get to read The Wolf Next Door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia,
    I've read most of your writing and I know for a fact that all of it is wonderful. So relax! Like someone said earlier you've got it in the bag!

    I think it's wonderful and I am so excited for you both. You both deserve it! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the release!! I can't wait to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! I lurrrrrve getting my author copies! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your launch!! I completely understand getting crazy excited over author copies. Enjoy it to the fullest! Go ahead read it again - I won't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Relax...like everyone is saying...your first book was awesome and I can't wait to read this one!

    hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! That's why I don't read my books after they're in print. I know I'll just think I should have changed something.

    But don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for you well wishes!

    Jessica ~ I'm SO glad you loved A Certain Wolfish Charm! And thanks for passing the good word to your friends.

    Mason ~ Thanks so much for the advice. I will try to breathe. :)

    Erin ~ That so sweet of you to say!

    Shana ~ I have to agree with you on all points.

    Sharon ~ So you and I are in the same boat. We can be mentally unstable together. ;)

    Clarissa ~ Thanks. That's very sweet.

    Catherine ~ I'm so glad we jumped in front of everything else in your TBR pile. And it won't be too long before THE WOLF NEXT DOOR IS OUT.

    Melissa ~ You're just making my ego worse for eveyone else to deal with.

    Carrie & Judi ~ Thanks!

    Amanda ~ Thanks for keeping my secret. ;)

    Anna ~ That's so nice of you to say. :)

    Linda ~ I should take a page out of your book and not look, I just can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Everyone!

    Sorry to be late to the party, but I had a dentist appointment today. URG!

    Lydia, I'm another one who can NOT resist reading my own book as soon as I get my author copies. :-P I can't help myself, and you're right, it IS an entirely different experience.

    ENJOY! And have some cyber-bubbly!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Lydia on the release and don't fret my dear as this was such a delightful delicious decedant droolworthy read. I absolutely loved it. You done good girl and I know book three is going to be a winner too. Enjoy your party sweetie and most certainly read the book again.
    huggs,
    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cindy ~ I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that. Thanks!

    Terra ~ Thank you so much for saying such nice things here and in your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Lydia! And those great reviews aren't just "good fortune" - you earned them with your talent!
    Thanks for letting me relive all the excitement of a book release!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joanne ~ Thanks! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll take time out from reading ACWC to tell you that I am SUPER ENJOYING THIS BOOK!! I look forward to the next two, and will tell you how much I love your writing when I'm done with them! Keep up the great work---you should be PROUD!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My copy of TD&W arrived in Australia just today so I am breathless to start reading! The cover is just as pretty as the first book. Congrats. Stay tuned for another Aussie flavoured photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzy ~ I'm so glad you're enjoying Simon/Lily's book. And hope you'll enjoy Ben/Elspeth just as much.

    Heather ~ Yay! I'm so glad it arrived! Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I shouldn't play favorites, but TDW was my personal fave in this first trilgoy--can't wait to read what comes next in the Fall and Spring! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohoo! Congratulations. I just read A certain wolfish charm and can't wait to read this too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay! Yay! Yay! So exciting. Can't wait until Nationals (wherever that may be) so I can get you to sign my copy.

    And the picture of the UPS man scurrying across the yard to his truck made me laugh out loud.

    Congrats on your release. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment