Skip to main content

Our amazing publisher: Sourcebooks

It's always a good thing when an author loves their publishing house, and I've been very fortunate to love mine. The owner of Sourcebooks, Dominique Raccah, is a fascinating woman, who approaches authors and the industry in an entirely different way, and perhaps this is the reason for Sourcebooks fantastic success...especially during a time when most publishing houses are cutting back and/or closing lines.



So it's with a great deal of pride that I'm passing along an article about Sourcebooks that appeared in Shelf Awareness (one of several articles that can be found here: http://news.shelf-awareness.com/mv/a1/804583.html):



Sourcebooks: '21st Century Book Publisher'



"We're a company that's transforming in an industry that's transforming," said Dominique Raccah, founder, CEO and publisher of Sourcebooks, Naperville, Ill. Her goal, she said, is to make Sourcebooks into "what a 21st Century book publisher would look like."Here's how it looks so far:



Sourcebooks has been in the forefront of offering e-books, enhanced books, iPhone apps and just last month launched a poetry website that, Raccah said, is creating a community for people who love poetry--and may be a model for creating revenue. (Among other things, it sells poems for download, iTunes style.)



After deciding a year ago that it wasn't going "to participate" in the recession and that it would have no layoffs, the company involved all 75 employees in extraordinary efforts to build the company's business in a range of measurable ways, including improving cash flow and inventory, expanding markets, working better with customers and more. By doing so, Sourcebooks has tried to take advantage of being "in that funky space between big and small publishers," Raccah said--big enough to have a presence but small enough to be limber and both act and react quickly.



Sourcebooks continues to publish some 300 new titles a year in a range of subjects--test and study guides, poetry, historical and women's fiction, children's and YA books, reference, romance and more--using many e-tools to nurture both readers and writers. The house, Raccah emphasized repeatedly, is publishing "authors, not books," and many of them have become bestsellers. Sourcebooks was founded 22 years ago as a reference publisher.

Comments

  1. Sign me up for the We Love Sourcebooks train! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud to be a Sourcebooks author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure we all are, Libby...we work with a wonderful publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryne,

    I had read this before but well worth reading again. And a good idea to pass on to those who might have missed it.

    Our editor is worth noting, too. I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming we all work with Deb.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud to be a Sourcebooks author. I remember sitting there during the Sourcebooks presentation at RWA and realizing everyone in the room wished they were in my shoes. And to be grouped with all you other brilliant writers - !!!
    And yes, Deb is the bomb! I've learned so much from her, and she's taken each book from good to great (if I do say so myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you for this! I am one of many, I am sure, who is thrilled to be a part of the Sourcebooks team. For me it was the right fit due to writing Austen. No other publishing house knows Austen and is as successful with Austen themed novels as Sourcebooks. I could not have done better.

    But then I learned more of how the company operates, learned of Dominique's incredible history, and so on. What a remarkable company!

    Later this month I am giving a speech for a group of local business women. Among the topics I will cover, bragging about Sourcebooks and Deb and Dominique are high on my list. This article is perfect for what I need!

    Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joanne! We're so very glad to have you join the Casa Authors!

    Hi Sharon! That's so great to hear. Best wishes on your talk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for spreading the "Good Word" about our fantastic publishing house, Kathryne!

    And I LOVED that line about, "...decided not to participate in the recession..." I can so hear Dominique saying that!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pleasure, AC! And yes, I can hear her as well. :}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'm not an author but I am a reader and a blogger (big fans of some of the authors that posted here!) and I love Sourceboooks too!They've been a wonderful company to deak with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then you're part of the family, Kris. :} Thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for Sourcebooks! We just had a company wide meeting tlaking about what is in the worksfor 2010, which many people in the industry are forecasting to be even harder than 2009. And once again, we have made the collective decision to not back down and to look at things with a focus of opportunity and possibility.

    One big reason we are able to look through the adveristy and challenges facing us is because of our ROMANCE, WOMEN'S FICTION and HISTORICAL FICTION authors (all represented here on this blog). Without the great products we're presenting to the world, we wouldn't do what we do!

    Big things to come from Sourcebooks, and all of our authors, this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Thanks for the inside look of what's to come, Danielle. We have such an exciting 2010 to look forward to. I'm glad to be a part of such wonderful, talented authors, and I speak for all when I say, we are grateful for all that you do for us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say, I'm so glad I found Sourcebooks. They publish some of the most wonderful, interesting and entertaining authors I ever read. Hope they're around for many, many more years to come (as well as the great authors they have now).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the kind words and good wishes, Mason. It's loyal readers like yourself that will allow us to continue writing the books of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a terrific publisher!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I'm late to the Sourcebooks party, but I'm a very proud Sourcebooks Author who was wowed by the Dynamic Duo of Deb and Dom July of 2007 and my admiration for them and the whole Sourcebooks team--Danielle, you too, Sweetie!--has only increased ever since. They're a force to be reckoned with and I'm thrilled to be along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment