Skip to main content

The Vacation I'll Never Forget

It was only four days, three nights, but when you win an all expenses paid vacation to a mountain lodge and spa, you’re sure not going to turn it down, are you? And my friends thought I was crazy for entering so many contests. Ha!

It was in the hills above Los Angeles, a lovely four-story building that looked so warm and welcoming that I practically skipped as I followed the bellman to the front desk.

I was treated like royalty being told I would have the Royalty Suite on the top floor and everything I required was included in my prize.

The suite was of an elegance of a time gone by, but with the comfort not known back then. I ignored the large flat screen TV for the view from the room that showed the lights starting to twinkle in the city below. I stood on my balcony inhaling the fresh scents of the surrounding forest.

Dinner was room service, food so succulent I moaned with delight and when my chocolate orgasm cake was served, well, let’s just say the cake was well named!

When I was offered the services of a relaxing massage after dinner, I wasted no time in accepting. Talk about a wonderful way to wind down my evening. Especially since the masseuse was named Gabe and had hands like you wouldn’t believe. Not to mention a few other talents that I was only too happen to receive. This was a true fantasy weekend for me and I intended to enjoy every second of it!

My days were filled with massages from Gabe, and well … you know, an herbal facial that I’m positive turned my skin to pure silk and time in the mineral springs behind the lodge that also did wonders for my peace of mind.

I was waited on hand and foot. It seemed I only had to think of what I wanted and it was there! And so was Gabe.

I only wished my time there had been longer, but it was time to return to reality and my boring job. I knew I couldn’t normally afford even one night at the lodge, so I think I’ll start entering more contests that offer cash prizes.

All my friends were so jealous of my getaway that when the lodge sent me a DVD of my weekend I invited them over for a viewing. I didn’t think there was anything on there featuring Gabe’s and my private time. And if there was, well, the man was truly built and they’d be so jealous of me!

We sat there with our wine while I turned on the DVD player and the credits showed the lodge. Except it didn’t look the way I remembered it. It looked worn and rundown. And inside wasn’t beautiful with plants and comfortable furniture, but cobwebs, dust and cracked wood. The front desk looked as if it hadn’t been used in years.

But it was when the pictures started showing me that I went into shock.

The drop dead handsome Gabe was a skeleton wearing tattered clothing while I lay there chatting away and smiling at him. My sumptuous meals were unspeakable. The mineral springs were filled with dead animals, but you wouldn’t have known it if you’d looked at me. How could I be so blind?

As the DVD rolled to an end, the lodge front showed up again with a sign stating Closed 1871.

A friend turned off the DVD because I couldn’t stop screaming.

Even after I was released from the hospital I never entered another contest and I never took another vacation.

Linda

Comments

  1. That's the trouble with enchantment.

    Mary Margret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the prize winners pay for the years of therapy that followed?
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigod, I hope that's not where Cheryl went on her vacation! You know, I got rates for that place on Orbitz, and even those seemed awfully cheap. Now I know why.

    Christina
    P.S. Thanks for a good dose of Saturday morning spookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't resist writing this. Probably because I plan to do some ghost town visiting and research later in the year.

    Plus it shows free things aren't always good.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, LInda.

    I love exploring ghost towns and graveyards. Where are you going for your research trip?

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin,

    I'm returning to Tombstone and Virginia City and would love to go out to Bodie again. Haven't been there in years.

    I remember visiting Jerome in AZ before it became an artist colony. Few people lived there and when we went into the saloon I was advised not to look at the painting hanging over the bar. And one town we visited I was very curious about the house at the end of town with an old fashioned red light by the door. My parents explained it was for Christmas. :}

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. *laughs* That was awesome, Linda! Nicely done.

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tale, Linda! Though I think I stayed there once when we took a trip to the Upper Penisula :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes!
    Linda I think I'll book the room when we do our research trip to Tombstone.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROFLMAO!!! HOWL!! This is...I'm dying. I LOVE it. Damn good think I didn't have a mouthful of coffee at the time.

    Terey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Katy. My brain sort of took this insane -- well, normal for me -- turn when I thought vacation and this is what came up.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lynda. Not like the inn we set up, huh?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah Elaine! You don't trust me?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Terey. But you knew it would be something ... unusual.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. God, I look at them and just think "they all look so young..."

    This is not good! LOL

    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment