Skip to main content

Domestic gods...

Top Ten Reasons Why Women Love

Domestic gods...


10.  Domestic gods know how to separate laundry and are man enough to buy and care for fine washables.

9.  Domestic gods like more power...in their women, their cars, their vacuums, and their household cleaners.

8.  Domestic gods do manly things - like lift the couch with one hand to vacuum under it.

7.  Domestic gods don't question their sexuality - being a good cook and knowing how to clean doesn't make them effeminate. It makes them independent.

6.  A domestic god knows the way to a woman's heart is to show he's capable of killing bugs, scrubbing toilets, washing windows, keeping her well-fed and satisfied in bed.

5.  A domestic god knows there's nothing sexier than a man cleaning the bathtub for the woman in his life and then joining her in it.

4. Domestic gods don't expect their women to be a maid unless said woman is into playing dress-up. Then, they prefer the French variety - feather duster included.

3.  Domestic gods can fix your car and fix you a five-course meal.

2.  Domestic gods not only respect women, they care for and about them.

And the number one reason women love domestic gods is...

Domestic gods are as good in the kitchen as they are in the bedroom.


Now that I have your attention, I'll introduce myself. I'm Robin Kaye and the first book of my domestic gods series - Romeo, Romeo will be released this September.

All my heroes are domestic gods. I think there's nothing sexier than a man doing something I dread - like housework, or anything I don't want to do three times a day for the rest of my life - like cook.

Give me a man who can fix dinner in a pinch and clean up after himself, and I give you a domestic god. Granted, they are harder to find than a straight man on Fire Island, but they are worth their weight in plutonium - especially if you're a woman like me - I hate housework and here's the round-about story of why...

When I was nine years old and wanted to earn money for horseback riding lessons, I got a job selling doughnuts door to door. I made a hundred and fifty dollars a weekend, which was great until after six months of bringing in the big bucks, I was arrested for soliciting. Technically, I wasn't really arrested since the police officer didn't book me. He just gave all my doughnuts and me a ride home in a police car. The look on my mother's face when she answered the door was priceless. What can I say? I didn't know what no soliciting meant.

After that, I moved to a small town with five lakes and I wanted a sailboat. Since soliciting was definitely out of the question, I cleaned five houses a week for a year and bought myself a sailboat. I've hated cleaning ever since.

Fast-forward to when I was twenty-something. I felt I was ready for a serious relationship, but the last thing I wanted was someone else to take care of. I had a hard enough time cleaning up after myself. Why would I want to add a man to the mix? That's when I decided I only wanted a man who would take care of himself and maybe even take care of me.

What woman wouldn't want a man to take care of her? Well, maybe Martha Stewart - a domestic god would probably make her feel threatened. But for the most part, women want a man who will take care of them, and I'm not talking monetarily although I have no problem with that either.

I may have dated every bad boy, but I was smart enough to marry a boy scout. I've been married to a certifiable domestic god for the last 18 years and life has been pretty great. The only problem I have is that there's virtually nothing to complain about when my girlfriends are whining about their husbands leaving dirty underwear on the floor. My husband has been known to pick up my clothes.

On the rare occasion I have something to vent, my girlfriends tell me how lucky I am to have him - which is so not what you want to hear when you need a poor baby and a dirty martini.

Now if only my three children were little domestic gods and goddesses, life would be perfect. Unfortunately, they take after me...



 


Comments

  1. HI robin
    Please give me one of the domestic gods my husband is terrible at any housework he is a great husband wonderful father and terrific grandfather but housework and cooking no way with him, he does try or maybe I just want it done my way (don't most of us)
    Loved the post the book sounds great
    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Robin,

    Great blog, and I'm with Helen. I want some of those domestic gods!

    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Robin

    I may have dated every bad boy, but I was smart enough to marry a boy scout. I've been married to a certifiable domestic god for the last 18 years and life has been pretty great.

    Glad to know that there are some real life domestic gods out there. My own DH is somewhat "godlike," but I can't wait to read all about the perfect man.

    Bring on the books, babe!
    Debbie S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye and Helen~

    Thanks so much for the posts. I was really sweating the blog. I feel like I'm 16 again and scared to death that no one will come to my party.

    Domestic gods are great, but like all men, they have their faults. Sometimes I feel as if I spend half my time looking for things I just put down a second ago. My DH (dear husband or damn husband) depending on my mood) doesn't understand that sometimes I don't want things where they belong I want them where I left them! But then he does bring me coffee in bed and a girl can forgive a lot for daily coffee in bed.

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robin-
    I have had two bad boy husbands and now am ready for the Domestic God! The book sounds great. I look forward to anything you wirte. So far you make me laugh and I totally want one of these men.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie!

    Thanks so much for stopping by. I happen to know your DH is a certifiable domestic god.

    He brings your guests bagels in the morning and pours a mean Cosmopolitans at night. I've even seen him cook dinner...and it was almost as yummy as he is. He's a man after my own heart and me being your girlfriend, won't tell you you're lucky to have him.

    Hugs.....Robin
    PS Give that domestic god of yours a hug for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy~

    Good luck finding your own domestic god. They're out there and it sounds like you deserve one.

    Thanks for stopping by...

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Robin!

    Wow! I think you're on to something here. Can't wait to read your book! Best of luck!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Robin,
    The book sounds fun. Can't wait to read it. My DH is a lot like yours--to the point I am no longer allowed to complain about him to girlfriends. He loads the dishwasher with military precision, and drives me crazy when he rearranges my load. Grrr!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melissa and Marie~

    I'm so glad you came by.

    Marie, I feel your pain. It's tough being married to a Domestic god. But hey, someone has to do it. It might as well be us, right?

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Robin!

    The only thing I want to make for dinner is reservations, but I'd be happy to give a Domestic God the use of my kitchen appliances - though he's probably have to dust them first...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mine is sort of a domestic god. He cleans up lots, except my clothes, he won't touch those. He does laundrey (but doesn't sort) and his idea of cooking is Wendy's.

    Still I'd never trade him.

    Hey Sweetie!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin, your post make me smile! My darling husband is close on this one...he's great at cleaning (which is a tremendous relief as I haven't dusted in a decade :), but I still fantasize about a man who cooks for me. Any major cuisine specialty would be fine, but if you know of a domestic god that can make great Greek or Italian food, let me know!
    ~Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Damn, I'm jealous. My DH does do the vacuuming but only because he has to clean up after HIS two cats. Other that that, I have him and my 2 boys so I'm the only source of dinner and estrogen in the house. Can you say LONELY? :sigh: DH just bought my Mother's Day present, an Omaha Steaks gift package. Now who gets to cook all that? ME. I'm booking a day at the spa next weekend and while I'm gone, I don't give a damn what they're not having for lunch. (Though I may have to leave the PB&J fixin's on the counter, just to be safe.)

    Congrats on joining the blogosphere! Enjoy!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marilyn~

    Nick Romeo is 100% Sicilian and cooks and cleans to relax. He plies poor Rosalie with pasta and chocolate covered doughnuts, and even sneaks lasagna to Dave, Rosalie's dog.

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Robin,
    Great post! And I, like you, am married to a domestic god (oh how he will love that moniker!). Must be the Boy Scout training.
    Tracy Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think my DH is on the Domestic God list and thank goodness since I barely have time to breathe as of late. I loved your post it was really great and I can't wait to read your (whole) book...'cuz I've loved what I've read so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Grace, Carla & Gail~

    Thanks so much for dropping me a note.

    It's amazing how many domestic gods there are out there. I love hearing about them!

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Robin!
    There isn't a domestic god in my house, and I'm the lone female living with three of them! I went to sleep last night with the scent of burned pancakes in my nose--my oldest son is a bit of a night owl--and got up this morning to find that he had not only used both of my iron skillets, but had not bothered to clean up. He's still asleep, but when he finally drags himself out of bed, I'm showing him your list!
    Unfortunately, I must disagree with the "Boy Scout effect." My DH is the Scoutmaster, my oldest son is an Eagle Scout and my youngest son is almost an Eagle. There is no such thing as a certainty in this world....But I'm sure I'll love your book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Robin! You need to send the list to Dave Letterman. And I want to be your "date" in the audience. LOL.

    Having read this already, I know people are going to love it! Trust me, there's nothing you can do but love Nick! (Name's not bad either...)

    Way to go, lady!

    Oh, and a D.G.? Yeah, I've got one of those. Unfortunately, it's only hamburgers, omelets and the occasional tacos, but as long as I don't have to cook it or clean it up, it counts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post, Robin! I can't wait to get a copy of your book :) And I'm glad to hear that you had some real life inspiration for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL, Robin. I love the list. I think I'll print it off for my DH who is a sweetie, but not even into cleaning the car. I'm first in line for Romeo, Romeo. Don't listen to Judi. di.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, Robin. Stop bragging. Those of us with many thumbed husbands are drooling on the keyboard. Mine thinks cleaning means removing from the floor and tossing on the couch---although I don't complain when the item being tossed is me! I can't wait to read your book. Fantasy is a wonderful thing. Love ya, honey. Pat D.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Agh, this is so unfair, Robin! I made a deal with my husband years ago. I do the inside work and he does the outside work. I also made the deal that he can golf whenever he wants, but I don't have to work outside the house. I don't have a very clean house, and everyone in the family knows dinner is ready when the fire alarm goes off--because I'm too busy writing. So, he's not a domestic god by any means, but then neither am I a domestic goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi everyone~

    I'm going to be out of touch until tonight. I've got a concert to go to with a great friend of mine. We're seeing Landon Pigg. He sings one of my all-time favorite love songs 'Falling In Love At a Coffee Shop' I've been looking forward to this for months.

    When my youngest came down with a stomach bug this morning, I thought I'd have to cancel. Thank God my DH didn't believe me when I told him I wouldn't mind staying home. He's coming home from work early to play Mr. Mom.

    I'll have my iPhone with me so I'll be checking in as often as I can.

    Thanks to all my friends, old an new, who dropped by to say hi.

    Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have fun at the concert, Robin! Funny, Cindy, I had flames in my oven just last night--and not for the first time. My DH's quote of the night: "It's an oven, not a kiln." Gee, isn't he funny?
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  28. You certainly got my attention, Robin, Wonderful blog. Interesting about the kids, So Domestic gods aren't dominant factors in the gene pool? Darn! Can't wait to read Romeo, Romeo! And congrats on 18 years of marriage. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Robin! Love the blog.

    I can't wait to read this book I've heard so much about. As a domestic goddess, it's a good think I like cooking and cleaning or I'd be in trouble. My future husband is nothing like Nick, but I'll keep him.

    Hope to see you soon!!

    Barbie Dickens

    ReplyDelete
  30. My hubby is like yours, Judi... He's in charge of the grill and anything egg-related. Everything else is my domain... well, me and takeout!

    Can't wait to get my hands on Nick, er, on Romeo, Romeo! :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey, Robin, what a great post!

    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi robin. my domestic god is downstairs cooking dinner. although we moved to myrtle beach, our routines haven't changed much. mike works, takes care of the house, yard, and putting gas in the cars. i work, am on our hoa board, and do dishes after he cooks. we both walk dogs (but i never do early morning walks).
    thanks for inviting me to your "party". hope

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey, Robin!

    Nice work on the list of domestic god requirements. My law firm may want to use it for some prenuptial agreements.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  34. Robin,

    Great post! No domestic gods in my corner of the world, but like Laura, I do have a man who so loves his grill. We have an agreement. I do laundry. He does salmon. Looking forward to reading the full of Romeo, Romeo! Joy & Peace!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, I want a domestic god!!! A friend of my mother's has a husband who is a neat freak, so sometimes they can go overboard!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Robin,
    Better late than never! Great post, the book sounds sizzling! Bring it on girl, it's been a LONG time coming and we are thrilled for you. Love ya and lets make this the year we see each other again!
    Big smooches
    Kay (& Gareth)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey, Robin! Congratulations on starting your blog. I know for a fact that the only reason you can add this new task to your life as a writer and mother of three kids is your own DG--and we should add that DGs also make GREAT brothers-in-law! I also want to make a pitch for those of us raising sons to be DGs.
    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Robin~

    Greetings from the West! I loved the list and the NYC pics on your website. You are as hilarious as ever. Remember the little people when you reach the top! :-) You would be proud of Mike; yes, I can officially state that he is now a DG. He makes the bed every morning and does all of the cooking and dishes (thank you, Food Network!!)He also does all of the yardwork, takes out the trash, etc. He even does the occasional load of laundry (although I would not trust him with fine washables yet, he is great with underwear!)
    I am very proud of you and wish you continued success!

    I love you. Give that DG of yours a hug for me.

    ~Becky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment