Sunday, April 24, 2011

Procrastination vs. Exhaustion By Kathryne Kennedy

I am a list person. I have a to-do list for marketing, for writing, for household chores, for errands…for just about everything. I get a great amount of satisfaction from striking off something from my list when it’s done. And of course, the ultimate thrill of throwing the list away when it’s complete…and starting on another one. There are days when I’m doing so many different tasks that it’s nice to realize I’m accomplishing something by having those lists. My favorite thing is now my Organizer Pro computer calendar. It was twenty bucks, and worth it. Cause now I have lists by date! Oh joy! And the best part is that the calendar will roll over the tasks to the next day if I don’t get them finished. And it has a check box when I get something done. And it has a ‘repeat’ command, so, for example, I know I need to check at the beginning of the month for the date I need to post for the Casa blog, and the theme. I just check repeat on the first of each month, and the calendar fills in that reminder for as many years as I tell it to. I never have to worry about forgetting something.

So I don’t often procrastinate. I just get pooped. I order my lists by most important to least, and sometimes something will crop up and I have to put the list aside. For example, I had a tight deadline for book 3 in THE ELVEN LORDS series, THE LORD OF ILLUSION, so that took precedence over my marketing list. Then when I finished, my partner sent me her book for a final read, and that takes precedence over my marketing list…which takes precedence over my cleaning list (since I started writing, I ignore dust bunnies.) My family always takes precedence over any of my lists, so ultimately; there are a few things on the bottom of the list that I may not get to in time.

I’m pleased to say that I did finish my writing lists and progressed to my marketing. I updated my website for the pending release for book 2 in THE ELVEN LORDS series, THE LADY OF THE STORM, and launched my first contest in celebration. I’m sharing it below, so I can check it off my list…and go on to the next task. If I’m not too pooped, that is. :}

First contest for

THE LADY OF THE STORM

To celebrate the upcoming release of THE LADY OF THE STORM, I am offering a gorgeous genuine blue topaz raindrop necklace, which represents the magical power my heroine half-breed inherited from her elven lord father. See below for a photo and description of this magical prize.

This first contest is all about spreading the word about the THE LADY OF THE STORM. To enter, just post the following blurb anywhere on the internet (Chatrooms, Forums, Blogs, Myspace, Amazon, B&N, Twitter, etc.) You may also copy and paste the cover, if you would like. Err, no inappropriate sites, please. If you don't own the site, please make sure it's okay to post the blurb.


BLURB:

Coming August 2011
THE LADY OF THE STORM
A darkly delicious new fantasy world
of sizzling romance amid the pageantry
of Georgian England.
http://www.kathrynekennedy.com












Email the link to your blurb to: kathryne@kathrynekennedy.com with TLoTS CONTEST 1 in the subject line.

A winner will be randomly chosen using RANDOM.ORG. Your information will be kept confidential. Contest ends June 30, 2011. You can enter as many times as you like to increase your odds of winning (Tweet about it every day!). Void where prohibited by law. You must be 18 years or older to enter. No prize substitution permitted. Odds of winning are determined by number of entrants. This contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations.





18 comments:

  1. I can say I blog with somebody who is so organized, she has lists of lists! Congrats on Book Two, Kathryn, and it's a gorgeous necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new book, Kathryne!!! I used to be a list person. But years ago, I gave it up! Now I only write a grocery list and half the time forget to bring it with me. But I found I was spending too much time obsessing about the "list" and not enough time in getting the work done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forget where I put the whole list! LOL
    Lovely necklace but the book cover is simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover! I make lists and then half the time loose the list...lol...maybe I need to get this computer program so I can print things out multiple times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever get to that point, I'll give them up too, Terry. :}

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Carolyn! And yes, I think this is the favorite of all my book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lists too and like some of the others, I sometimes lose them lol but I'm not as busy as you authors so it's not usually too important.

    I so agree about the cover - it's gorgeous. And thanks for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure, Catslady! I've got all your entries. :}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a "list" person too, but I haven't been able to fine a computer organizer that works - maybe I'll try yours! My calendar and lists have to be on paper for some reason, or the "to-dos" don't seem real somehow...
    Beautiful cover, and I love the necklace - it's a great promotional idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks much, Joanne! Although the calendar has helped, I still have the paper lists. Old habits. :}

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brain is a purse-size calendar. If I lose that, I might as well be brain dead. Love the cover and the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, love the neckless. I do keep list but only grocery list and then about half the time I still don't get everything on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Virginia! That's better than me...I usually get more than what's on my grocery list. :}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huge congratulations on your book !! Thank you for sharing your post with us and wow absolutely stunning giveaway !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Desere! Thanks so much for the lovely comment. :}

    ReplyDelete