Thursday, July 1, 2010

THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER: A Musical Journey

So very happy to be here today to celebrate the release of THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER! I’ve got a lot of stuff to share, but I’ll start with the give-a-ways, cause I’m celebrating with a bang! First off, just leave a comment at the end of my post, and you’ll be entered to win a free copy of THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER (Canada & U.S. addresses only). Check the comments section tomorrow to see if you won. You can also send me an email with your mailing address to: Kathryne@KathryneKennedy.com with CASA LAUNCH PARTY in the subject line, and I’ll send you a little packet of goodies (bookplate, bookmark, custom emery board). Finally, sign up for my newsletter via my website: http://www.kathrynekennedy.com and you’ll automatically be entered to win a chocolate diamond necklace.

I recalled a post I’d written on how the song, MAGIC MAN by HEART, inspired a scene in THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER, and got to wondering if other songs might convey the essence of other scenes or characters in my book. So pop that cyber-champagne, kick up your heels, and take a musical journey with me through THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER.

My heroine, Lady Cassandra Bridges, is a bit of a paradox. Her magical gift is that of the dance and she has several in her repertoire, including several dances of desire. And more than one death dance. Raised in a convent to keep her pure for her marriage to my hero, Dominic Raikes, she has taken her religious teachings to heart. But trained as an assassin by the Rebellion, she is also a lethal weapon. HALLELUJAH, beautifully sung by ALEXANDRA BURKE, is a wonderful reflection of Cassandra’s character.



Dominic’s father, the elven lord Mor'ded, fears his growing magical powers, and tests his son’s magical defenses, often by using those Dominic cares about. Half-elven himself, Dominic’s human side would rather face the black magical fire than watch his loved ones suffer, so he has learned to hide his human heart beneath his cold elven exterior. Here’s a song that might embody Dominic’s character when he meets Lady Cassandra and finds himself caring for her: HIDING MY HEART by BRANDI CARLILE.



There is a scene where Lady Cassandra and Thomas, a Rebellion spy, rescue the half-breed Cecily Sutton from Firehame Palace. Cecily has the magical gift of sea and sky, and a power possibly strong enough to threaten the elven lords (Cecily’s story is in book two of THE ELVEN LORDS, THE LADY OF THE STORM). I thought RIDERS OF THE STORM by THE DOORS might capture that wild midnight ride, where Cecily calls her magic of the storm to defeat their pursuers:



Dominic discovers a secret so evil that, for the first time in his life, he is driven to despair. He seeks out the tower of Ador, his father’s dragon-steed and Dominic’s only confidant. Although Ador’s motives are a mystery, the dragon often brings Dominic comfort, and on this pivotal evening he offers Dominic a ride on his back…something Dominic has always secretly longed for. Although Ador calls it a “star dance”, I think MOONDANCE by VAN MORRISON may capture the magical feel of that ride…and what passes between Cass and Dominic afterward.



Lady Cassandra shocks the court by employing two slaves as her personal maids. Both girls have a wee bit of magic. Gwen has a gift for finding things, and May can weave almost anything put between her fingers. When they combine their magic to help protect Cassandra against the elven lord’s wrath, their cloak of dreams may prove stronger than they can imagine. DREAMWEAVER by GARY WRIGHT, is a great reflection of that magical gift:



The elven lord constructed a secret garden within the grounds of Firehame Palace, a copy of the land that might be found in his home world of Elfhame. When he abandons it, Dominic takes it for his own and when Cassandra follows her husband there, they both reveal their hearts to each other for the first time. The rain pummels plants similar to small drums, the wind blows through flowers that emit a haunting melody, and I think all that BOLERO by RAVEL lacks is the sound of petals tinkling like wind chimes:



Do you have a particular scene or character in a book that might be reflected in a song? I’d love to hear about it! But before I go, I’ll leave you with my Virtual Tour schedule, where you can enter to win a copy of THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER at each blog. You might have missed a chance to enter if that date has already passed, but since I have articles of interest to both readers and writers, I’m posting all of the dates for those that might be interested.

TFLL Virtual Tour Schedule

A copy of THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER will be given away at each blog!

6/30 HOW TO UNDRESS AN EIGHTEENTH CENTURY GENTLEMAN
Or, how to undress my hero in THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER. An actual writer’s guide to eighteenth century clothing…with a dash of magic.
Fresh Fiction
http://freshfiction.com/

7/1 COMPARING THE WRITER’S LIFE TO A MOVIE STAR’S
Debunking the myth that a writer’s life is glamorous.
My Book Addiction and More
http://mybookaddictionandmore.wordpress.com/

7/1 LAUNCH PARTY! A MUSICAL JOURNEY
Join me on a musical journey through THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER.
http://casablancaauthors.blogspot.com/

7/2 INTERVIEW!
Deb’s Book Bag
http://debsbookbag.blogspot.com/

7/2 HOW I JUGGLE MY WRITING AND REAL LIFE…OR NOT
Where I discuss my inability to master the art of juggling.
Sia McKye’s Thoughts Over Coffee
http://siamckye.blogspot.com/

7/5 WORLD-BUILDING…AND A MAP OF THE ELVEN LORDS’ REALM
The steps I took in building the realm of THE ELVEN LORDS, including a never-before-seen map of the seven elven sovereignties, kindly drawn by my DH.
Star-Crossed Romance
http://star-crossedromance.blogspot.com/

7/6 RELEASE DAY CELEBRATION! HOW TO TALK TO A DRAGON
My step-by-step guide to speaking with Ador, the black dragon in THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER
http://quinnessentials.blogspot.com/

7/7 INTERVIEW!
Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell
http://books-forlife.blogspot.com/

7/9 TOP TEN REASONS TO FALL IN LOVE WITH MY HERO
Or, how I managed to fall so hard.
Love Romance Passion
http://www.loveromancepassion.com/

7/12 BUILDING A FANTASY WORLD IN A HISTORICAL TIME PERIOD
Including the seven magical realms, and the levels of fire magic created for my villain and hero.
Historical Hussies http://historicalhussies.blogspot.com/

7/13 MY PRIVATE NOTES OF THE ELVEN LORDS SERIES
Are no longer private! A combination of my research, the original creation of the world and a peek at plot elements that haven’t been revealed yet.
Literary Escapism http://www.literaryescapism.com/

7/14 ORGANIC WRITING
A peek into my writing process.
Magical Musings www.magicalmusings.com

7/15 INTERVIEW!
The Life (and lies) of a Flying Inanimate Object http://www.haleymathiot.blogspot.com/

7/16 INTERVIEW!
http://muchcheaperthantherapy.blogspot.com/

7/19 INTERVIEW!
Anna’s Book Blog http://annavivian.blogspot.com/

7/20 INTERVIEW!
Queen of Happy Endings http://alainereading.blogspot.com/

7/21 WHY I DECIDED TO COMBINE HISTORICAL & FANTASY
Including a new excerpt to show how the fantasy, historical & romantic elements combine in THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER.
Linda Banche Romance Author http://lindabanche.blogspot.com/

7/26 HOW TO UNDRESS AN EIGHTEENTH CENTURY LADY
Or, how Dominic Raikes undresses Lady Cassandra. This is an actual writer’s guide to eighteenth century costume.
Night Owl Romance http://nightowlromance.com/nightowlromance/

7/28 INTERVIEW!
For the Love of Words http://shaunaroberts.blogspot.com/

7/30 DOMINIC & CASSANDRA’S LOVE STORY
Including a never-before-seen romantic excerpt, and the song that inspired my hero.
Romance Junkies http://www.romancejunkies.com/rjblog/

Thank you for celebrating my launch party with me!
All My Magical Best,
Kathryne

THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER BY KATHRYNE KENNEDY—IN STORES JULY 2010
Kathryne Kennedy's historical fantasy romances have garnered awards and a growing readership. This exciting new series, set against the lavish backdrops of Georgian and Victorian England so beloved by romance readers, is deliciously dark and exciting.

Fighting for control of a kingdom that is split into seven domains, Elven warlords use their human slaves to breed an endless supply of soldiers for their armies. Dominic Raikes, the half-blood son of the Elven Lord himself is one such warrior. Betrothed to Lady Cassandra, who has been raised in a convent to keep her pure, he little suspects that she's been secretly trained as an assassin to murder his father. Dominic and Cassandra soon discover that each one is not what they seem, but the price of trust may be their very lives, and the destruction of the magical realm each is desperately trying to save…

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kathryne Kennedy is a multipublished, award-winning author of magical romances. She’s lived in Guam, Okinawa, and several states in the U.S., and currently lives in Arizona with her wonderful family—which includes two very tiny Chihuahuas. She welcomes readers to visit her website where she has ongoing contests at: www.KathryneKennedy.com.

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Borders
BooksAMillion
Chapters/Indigo
Kathryne’s Bookseller Directory

24 comments:

  1. Woohoo, congratulations on the release, Kathryn!!!My computer keeps crashing and when it's up, my internet keeps going out on me due to the storms in the Gulf, so I wanted to quickly congrat you before I run off to work! :) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a launch party, Kathryn! Congrats on the new release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited about this book. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terri! I don't know how you manage to do everything, but thank you so much for taking the time to offer your congrats to me today. Your so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Chery! Gotta love the music. :}

    Hi Shana! Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's music to my ears, Loves2Read! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great introduction to your new book. I'm waiting for a copy....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many congrats, Kathryne! You must be so excited. Your book sounds delish!

    Not too long ago I heard the very sexy song You Look Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton and was inspired to sit down and draft a love scene for the book I was working on.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiration comes in so many different ways, doesn't it? Such a beautiful song must have inspired a wonderful scene, Amelia!
    Thanks so much for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your newest release, Kathryne! Loved your post. Music often inspires scenes I write. Sometimes the lyrics inspire me, but more often, the music sets a certain mood or tone while I write. I never thought to try to match songs to various scenes. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Olivia! It took some time, but it was very enjoyable. I love those songs. :}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathryne, what a cool idea! I'm curious if you listened to these songs while writing the scenes, or if the analogy struck you after the scenes were finished. Or maybe it was some of each?

    ReplyDelete
  13. After the scenes were finished, Laurie. I write in as quiet an environment as I can get, as I have to visualize the scene and 'be there' with my characters. I found the songs by typing in a few key words describing my scene. That said, there is ONE song that did inspire my hero, and a love scene in the book. I'm blogging about it at Romance Junkies on my tour. :} So sweet of you to stop by and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATS on your Launch, Kathryne! The Fire Lord's Lover is getting great reviews and I can't wait to read it.

    WOW! Some great musical picks there! (Bolero has long been one of my favorites, as has Moondance) But I have to say, I have a real soft spot for The Doors, probably because I saw them live in concert when I was a young teen. I also visited Jim Morrison's grave the first time I was in Paris. Anyway, Riders On The Storm has always been one of my favorites of theirs, SO atmospheric and mystical. I can see why it would inspire you.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi AC!
    Thanks so much for the congrats! How lucky to have seen the DOORS, very cool! And yes, I love that song. The sound of the rain at the beginning sets the tone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - your book sounds great - I'm going to have to get myself a copy. The cover is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a really good book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your release, Kathryne! Combining historical and fantasy is such a unique idea - love it!

    You wore me out just reading about your blog tour. Have fun and get some rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amanda! Thank you so much for the kudos!

    Hi Brandlwine! Good to hear. :}

    Hey, Tracey! Thanks! I plan on having lots of fun talking with great people like you over the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Kathryne!!!

    Happy Launch Day!

    I hope the party is ongoing. Thanks for the wonderful music. "Hallelujah" is one of my favorite songs, no matter who sings it. This lady was fantastic. The story sounds SO intriguing. I am sure it will be a hit.

    Have fun with all the blogs and hopefully a couple of dozen more excellent reviews will pour in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for the congrats, Sharon! And Hallejiua is also one of my favs.

    Off to a different blog today, and wish everyone the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. True Random Number ServiceRandom Integer Generator
    Here are your random numbers:

    3 Timestamp: 2010-07-06 14:11:02 UTC

    Congrats, Shana! You're the winner of a free copy of THE FIRE LORD'S LOVER! Just email me at: kathryne@kathrynekennedy.com with your snail mail address.
    My best to all!

    ReplyDelete