Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Travel & Fairies & Chocolate Diamonds!

That's kind of an odd subject line, but I promise they're all connected with my writing.

I attended the Romantic Times convention in Florida, my very first! And let me say that it was a truly awesome experience. I went as a member of the fairy ball (how often does someone my age get to dress up as a fairy without feeling silly?) and I met amazing readers, writers, publishers and a few hunky men. I'm looking forward to going again next year, as it will be in LA and the flight time for me will only be about an hour. :} I'm hoping to be a part of the fairy ball again. It made my RT experience all the more richer. I also met my editor and the owner of Sourcebooks for the very first time, and my agent. I was so excited that I managed to drop my cell phone in the toilet while having lunch with my agent. Iam a dork, but still, that was a first for me! So here's a few pictures from that adventure, including fairies and a few hunky men: http://kathrynekennedy.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-adventures-at-romantic-times_20.html

So that's how travel and fairies go together. And since my new series, THE ELVEN LORDS, is a Georgian fantasy world of elven warlords, magical fire, a cloak of dreams, a rose ring that blooms, a sentient scepter and a dragon or two, it falls in quite nicely with the fairies. I have just updated my website with the cover (I hope you love it as much as I do!) and the fantastic summary that Sourcebooks wrote for the book. I struggle with summarizing any book, and am truly in awe at the talent that went into those two short paragraphs (note the power words that were used!). As you can tell, I'm very excited, and you can find out why by taking a peek for yourself: http://www.kathrynekennedy.com

As for the chocolate diamonds, this is where I introduce my new contest that I've launched to promote book one in the series, THE FIRE LORD'S LOVER. ;}

First Contest for THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER

What two words are a perfect combination for the romance reader? Chocolate. And diamonds. So to launch the first book in my new series, THE ELVEN LORDS, I will be having three contests that feature chocolate diamond jewelry. (See http://www.kathrynekennedy.com/contest.html for a photo and description of this sparkling prize.)

This first contest is all about spreading the word about the first book in the new series, THE FIRE LORD’S LOVER. To enter, just post the following blurb anywhere on the Internet (Chatrooms, Forums, Blogs, Myspace, Twitter, etc. Err, no inappropriate sites, please. And the exact blurb cannot already be mentioned on that site. (If you don't own the site, please verify that it's okay with the site owner to post the blurb).


A darkly delicious new fantasy world of sizzling romance amid the pageantry of Georgian England.
Please visit: http://www.kathrynekennedy.com/

Email the URL link to: kathryne@kathrynekennedy.com with TFLL1 CONTEST in the subject line.

A winner will be randomly chosen from those with a verifiable link. Entering the contest automatically signs you up for the author's newsletter. Your information will be kept confidential. Contest ends April 30, 2010. Void where prohibited by law. You must be 18 years or older to enter. No prize substitution permitted. Odds of winning are determined by number of entrants. This contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations.

Until Next Time,
All My Very Best,


  1. Sounds like fun, Kathryne! I've never been to RT, but I've heard it's wild. Sounds like a werewolfish kind of place to me! :)

  2. Romantic Times always sounds like the presenters really get into the fun and fantasy of being a romance fan. I hope to get to go one year.

    Good luck to everyone on the chocolate diamonds giveaway.

  3. Loved the photos from the trip and the book cover is great. Here's wishing you much success with the upcoming new series.

  4. Congrats on the new book, Kathryne! I think a fairy fantasy is a welcome addition to the Casa line :)

  5. Fun post, Kathryne, and I'm sure you'll have a great time with the chocolate diamonds!

    I'm going to RT this year and I'm already giving some thought to my "Earth Mother" fairy costume. You're right about one thing, I haven't dressed up as anything other than a nurse in a very, very long time...

  6. Looks like you had fun at RT. It's always a good time! I think I've been 4 times.

  7. chocolate diamonds? Oh, be still my heart! Two of a girl's favorite things - at least, this girl!

    Will you be at RT this year? I will. Fourth year in a row, but I don't think I"ll make it to LA next year.

  8. Hi Terry! I do think I saw a were-wolf at the fairy ball! But mostly vampires and fairies. :}

    MM: It's the most fun I'd had in quite a while.

    Thanks a million, Mason!

    I feel like I've snuggled right in, Danielle.

    It's such a fun, magical night, Cheryl. I know you'll have a fantastic time!

    I'm envious, Shana. :}

    I remember you from RT last year, Judi. And wouldn't ya know I'm not going to RT this year. Sure am disappointed that I won't be hanging out with you again soon. Have a great time this year though...and be sure to post your pictures on the Casa blog.

  9. Oh, man! I've been to too many RT conferences to count. When I went to the one in Savannah with my good friend Meryl Sawyer, she and I rode in a van with Fabio from the airport to the hotel. When we drove up there were people and cameras everywhere as someone put out the word that Fabio was on the way. Well he was the perfect gentleman insisting that Meryl and I step out first and you should have seen the disappointment on the faces behind all the cameras when we stepped out instead of Fabio! What fun we had.

    And I'm a chocolate and diamonds kind of girl. I might have to enter that contest! :-)


  10. What fun! You look great standing in between Deb and Dom! Love the whole idea of a fairy ball. I have never been to the RT convention, but LA is close to me so maybe I will give it some thought for next year.

    The new cover is gorgeous! Send me a large format JPEG and I'll do my thing here on the blog! Best of luck, Kathryne. Thanks for sharing.

  11. Oh, Amelia, what absolute fun! I wish I had been there.
    Oh, and gotta love chocolate diamonds. :}

    Thank you for reminding me to send you the cover, Sharon. You're an angel.

  12. I had a great time at RT last year. I wish I was going this year, but no such luck.

    The Vampire Ball was my favorite. I snagged the Zombie helmet off my table. It is a gauze covered baseball cap with red dye and has a motorized rat on it with light-up eyes and a moving tail that says "Brains, I love eating brains" and "I just enrolled my kids in the local elementary skull." I brought that home and my then 11-year old thought I was a god. She still wears it regularly which sometimes makes me wonder about her mental health, but then I have to--after all, she's related to me. I'm told that's enough to drive anyone off the deep end.

  13. Chocolate diamond. Sounds perfect.

  14. Kathryne - You definitely have me excited about attending RT this year. :)

  15. LOL, Robin! You are a cool mom!

    I thought so too, Sheila. :}

    You will have a fantastic time, Lydia! I guarantee it!

  16. The RT conference sounds great. maybe I'll have to check it out next year. Congratulations on your new book - it looks great!

  17. I enjoyed reading your article, thank you for posting.

    Web Development Karachi

  18. very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!